VOLLEYBALL: Cyclones sweep Raiders

Iowa States Rachel Hockaday, 3, spikes the ball during the match against Texas Tech on Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2008, at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones beat the Red Raiders in a three game sweep. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

Josh Harrell

Iowa State’s Rachel Hockaday, 3, spikes the ball during the match against Texas Tech on Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2008, at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones beat the Red Raiders in a three game sweep. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

Travis J. Cordes

As soon as the first point of the match hit the floor, it was evident that the ISU volleyball team was making sure it didn’t have a letdown match on Wednesday night.

After becoming the first opponent to win a match against Baylor in Waco, the Cyclones faced the doormat of the Big 12 at home, but had no problem taking care of struggling Texas Tech with a 3-0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-14) sweep of the Red Raiders (5-15, 0-7 Big 12). The Cyclones are now 6-1 in their last seven matches against Tech.

Iowa State (12-7, 4-4 Big 12) forced Texas Tech into calling a time-out just 10 points into the first set as they ran out to a quick 9-1 lead and never looked back. Iowa State did give eight of 11 points at one point in the set, but a balanced hitting attack had four players with three kills apiece led the Cyclones to an easy first set victory.

Sophomore Victoria Henson found a rhythm early for the Cyclones, putting down 13 kills with no errors in the first two sets, and finished with 16 kills and one error in the match. Her .652 hitting percentage was the best of her career, surpassing the .533 mark she had last season against Kansas. It was her fifth consecutive match with double-digit kills.

“Once we got into the match everything just kind of flowed,” Henson said. “We were passing really well and Kaylee [Manns] was setting some beautiful balls which made it a lot easier to get into a groove.”

While Henson credits the defense and her setter for the strong play, her teammates still know it’s her doing most of the work.

“If you’re in the zone like she was, you’re going to put the ball away no matter what,” Manns said. “I wasn’t setting anything special, but no matter how I was setting the ball, she was very tough tonight.”

While senior Jen Malcom was sidelined for the match with an ankle injury, Iowa State started its youngest team of the season, as three freshmen, two sophomores and two juniors filled out the starting lineup against the Red Raiders.

“We had a lot of freshmen out there tonight, which is very exciting,” said coach Christy Johnson. “It tells us that we’re heading in the right direction when we can have three of four freshmen playing, and playing well.”

While the Cyclones were able to take care of business on the scoreboard, the most impressive individual streak was snapped in the match. After recording 10 or more digs in 44 consecutive matches, libero Ashley Mass saw the third longest double-digit dig streak in the nation end as she only managed to tally eight on the night.

By out-hitting the Red Raiders .441 to .118, Iowa State improved its record to 12-0 when out-hitting their opponents, and are now 6-2 in home matches this season.

The Cyclones will hit the road again this weekend when they head to Colorado to face the 9-8 Buffaloes at the Coors Events Center on Saturday in Boulder.