Orientation Guide: Letter from the editor

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

The Campanile turns 120 years old this year. Located on central campus at Iowa State University the Campanile serves as a symbol of the University. Dr. Tin-Shi Tam, University Carillonneur, plays popular songs from inside the Campanile every weekday at noon.

Emily Berch

Students,

Welcome to Iowa State. As you’ve probably discovered by now, our campus is full of history and tradition. Since 1898, couples have been kissing under the Campanile. Since 1929, students have avoided stepping on the Zodiac in the Memorial Union. Since 1935, swans have lived in Lake Laverne.

For even longer, however, the Iowa State Daily has been serving the Iowa State and Ames communities. Founded in 1890, the Daily has always been ardently committed to our readership, and now, we hope, that includes you.

Through our print newspaper and our e-newsletter, the Daily brings new content to students every day, including news about the world around you, reviews and information about arts and entertainment, coverage and analyses of the latest sporting events and so much more. Our mission is to keep you informed, in whatever form that takes.

Aside from keeping you up to date on all the issues you already care about, the Daily also hopes to expand your horizons. Through initiatives like Voices and Daily Dialogue, we want to introduce you to perspectives you may have never considered. In our columns and editorials we hope to provide new ideas or viewpoints, and we hope you join us through letters to the editor.

Personally, you can always reach out to me through email ([email protected]) or stop by our office on the second floor of 2420 Lincoln Way to provide feedback on our coverage or join in our conversations. Whether you’re studying journalism, biology, engineering or any other major, the Daily is a place to learn and grow. Our paper was home to students from every college in 2018, and we would love for that to continue.

During your time at Iowa State, you’ll experience more than I can summarize here. You’ll have all the typical experiences of making and losing friends; you’ll learn about yourself. More than anything, though, you’ll learn about the world and people around you. We hope to be a part of that. Because whether you actively join our readership or not, the Daily will always be here for you.

All the best,

Emily Berch

Summer Editor in Chief