Choosing the best costume for Halloween

Justin Whisler trys on Halloween costumes at Riduculous Rags in Campus Town on Sat., Oct, 2008. Photo: Chris Potratz/Iowa State Daily

Chris Potratz

Allison Clarke

Finding the perfect Halloween costume can be a tedious task — especially on a budget.

Fortunately, there are local resources available to help remedy your costume woes.

One place to consider is Goodwill Industries, 3718 Lincoln Way.

Although it doesn’t provide a wide selection of actual costumes, it supplies a look for something unique and original. The store have a variety of gently used clothes from various decades.

Kelly EmeryIn, Goodwill employee, said this is the store’s busiest time of the year because of the large number of students searching for costumes for Halloween parties.

The costume specialty store, Halloween Bootique, 2801 Grand Ave., North Grand Mall, offers pre-assembled costumes for men, women and children. In addition, they have a wide variety of accessories, from psychedelic glasses to plastic swords.

Although some costumes can be expensive, Rebecca Braet, employee at Halloween Bootique, said if students are on a tight budget while looking for a full costume, Halloween Bootique offers a few costumes between $20 and $30.

Braet said typically students tend to shop in the store, looking for something specific to wear, and they usually splurge. An open-minded creative approach is best to combat high prices.

Another place to consider is Ridiculous Rags, 2414 Lincoln Way.

Despite the fact it’s mainly a theater costume shop, it’s a good place to find a costume no one else will have.

Its pieces are not incredibly expensive — ranging from 50 cents to $50. The store contains a plethora of unique costumes, such as a full Elvis outfit and flapper dresses, as well as one-of-a-kind accessories, including hats and boas.

“Come in with an idea,” said Nanci McCune, founder of Ridiculous Rags.

If you have an idea of what you would like to be, it will be easier for employees to help you find that special look you’re searching for.

“Creating a different look is a costume itself,” said McCune.