Central Campus gets greener Saturday

Ryne Dittmer

On Saturday, the greenest thing on Central Campus won’t be the grass.

The lawn south of the Campanile will play host to “Rock the Future: Green Jobs Now,” one of more than 550 events to take place across the country as part of the National Day of Action.

The free event, sponsored by Students for Iowa Public Interest Research Group, will take place from 4 to 7 p.m. with a line-up of local bands and speakers taking the stage in an effort to increase youth involvement in creating a sustainable future.

National sponsors Green Jobs Now, 1Sky, Energy Action Coalition and the We Campaign, a project of The Alliance for Climate Protection, are hoping the day will deliver a clear message to political leaders: The nation is ready to address the climate crisis and begin building a green economy.

“I think this issue really affects all of us. We are already seeing the effects of climate change and we need changes,” said Pantelis Korovilas, sophomore in political science. “This is our chance to show that ISU students are ready to be leaders in our future.”

Speakers include members of Environment Iowa, 1Sky and Mimi Wagner, associate professor of landscape architecture.

“The event will keep energy efficiency on the minds of the student,” said Mukund Premkumar, junior in genetics-Liberal Arts and Sciences and member of Iowa PIRG. “It’s about getting students excited about green issues.”

Responding to the global climate crisis means addressing the importance of voting, according to “Rock the Future.” Power Vote, a non-partisan organization started by the Energy Action Coalition has made a goal of securing one million youth supporters for clean energy.

“Historically, [youth] have not been the most reliable voting block. I hope everyone going sees the importance of doing things that are sustainable,” Premkumar said.

“Climate Voters,” as the people are referred to by the Coalition and its more than 40 other partner organizations, are placing emphasis on environmental issues in the coming election.

“As a quarter of the electorate, we have the power to get it done,” Korovilas said. “This summer, I was fortunate enough to travel many places around the country, to meet and see first hand what youth my age are doing with this campaign, and it is so inspiring.”

Nationwide, this Saturday, groups will be uniting under the central message: “When it comes to creating green jobs and a more sustainable economy, people are ready.”

And from the lawn next to the Campanile, a green message will be heard through speakers and musicians.

“This is national. All around the country there are kids getting involved in this. We are ready and we are ready to take control of our future. I encourage everyone here at ISU and across the country to stop sitting back and following; really build yourself up as a leader,” Korovilas said. “I think it’s our time to do it.”

Central Campus concert

When: 4-7 p.m. Saturday

Where: South of the Campanile

Who: To be announced

Cost: Free