FEEDBACK: Dear freshmen, heed this advice

Ev Cherrington

An old cliche reads, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression.”

Dear freshmen, you’re away from home (some of you for the first time), high school friends, curfews, alarm clock calls from mom and many more demands and influences.

What choices will you encounter? A professor who almost scares you to death with the amount of homework assigned the first week, a staggering course outline, food not prepared by mom, no keys to the family car?

My advice firstly is to choose your friends wisely — check out the person. Character counts in Iowa. I visit and keep up with some of my buddies on the track team from college days: friends for life.

Secondly, don’t be overwhelmed — it takes time to adjust, so use your time wisely.

Thirdly, closely watch your moral values — the ones your grandmother or parents taught or should have taught you.

You don’t have to follow the crowd to those drinking parties. Many will do so in attempting to meet new people, have fun — no problem here — but it’s the consequences that are the problem as many have turned to sex in looking to be loved or fulfilled in life. To you men — you are no longer considered a boy so grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

May I offer an alternative, a fun place, relaxation time?

Please check out a close campus community center where college-age people meet Fridays at 7:30 p.m. to hear some serious talk on behavior, responsibility, etc. and music you can connect with. Do check out The Rock at Zeke’s on West Lincoln Way, ten walking minutes from campus.

Ev Cherrington

Resident

Ames