FEEDBACK: Heed these rules, keep the peace in Campustown

Helen Colvin

Dear student neighbors: Not so long ago, I graduated from Iowa State. My husband and I loved Ames — now we are home-owners who welcome the diversity of Campustown and are active in our neighborhood organization.  

This letter is addressed to students who rent in our neighborhood. We hope that your landlords have told you about the following Ames city ordinances so that you will have a good relationship with other residents who live near campus.   

1. Over-occupancy:

This ordinance got a lot of attention five years ago when the city stepped up enforcement. Basically, if a neighborhood is zoned for “low density,” you can’t have more than three unrelated adults in a house. If you think you might be in violation of this ordinance, talk to your landlord. The fines that apply to you can be up to $500 per person.

2. Know your lease:

Mowing? Snow removal? Garbage pickup? Check your lease to see whose responsibility it is. Although snow is probably the last thing on anyone’s mind right now, remember that you only have 10 daylight hours after it stops falling to shovel the walks. And regardless of who arranges garbage pickup, if you don’t put your garbage out in a can with a lid, you can be fined $200 by the city.  

3.  The “couch ordinance”: You can’t have indoor furniture or appliances on porches, decks or yards. Penalties are $50 for the first offense, up to $250 for continued infractions.   

4. Nuisance parties:

If you have a party, don’t keep your neighbors up late being loud — this violates Ames’ noise ordinance and, if you do, or if people are engaging in illegal acts like public urination or leaving with open containers of alcohol, it will get busted as a nuisance party — that’s a $200 fine if you’re a repeat offender. As the host, bootlegging (selling beer, cups, or charging admission) and providing alcohol to underage drinkers are also illegal activities that you will be responsible for. Don’t feel bad about calling to complain about a nuisance party in your neighborhood, though. In fact, most nuisance party calls are from students.

One of the reasons you’re on a block with families, retired people and working adults — including your professors! — is probably because you appreciate the relative peace of a residential neighborhood.  (Police non-emergency number is: 239-5133) Clean your yard up after any parties. There’s a lot of pedestrian traffic in Campustown. This means lots of litter: cigarette packs, plastic bottles and food wrappers.

5. Parking/driving: 

You can’t park on a front lawn or over the sidewalk.  Also, please drive at a reasonable speed and watch out when you come out of driveways. We have kids on bikes and people wheeling toddlers in strollers.  

Your neighbors don’t want to nag you. They’ll get resentful if they have to always complain about trash, unshoveled sidewalks, loud music late at night, or general disrespect for our neighborhood. Be proactive: know the law, stay within it.    

We need your help to make our neighborhood a good place for all of us to live.

Helen Colvin

Public Relations Chair

South Campus Area Neighborhood