New MU store offers wider selection

Jennifer Dryden

This year’s Memorial Union renovations have opened up space for an expanded MU Market and Cafe, which sells a line of products from Amy’s Organics and is now the only place on campus that sells frozen organic products.

Smoothies, pre-packaged salads, sandwiches and a widened variety of convenience store products are also available.

Plans for the new market and cafe have been in the making since 2005.

Kristi Patel, assistant director of campus dining services, said a lack of space and out-of-the-way location of the old stores spurred the decision to renovate the MU and build the new venue, which opened Wednesday and has received good reviews from students.

“It is a really central location, so people will utilize it a lot more, especially freshmen. The C-Store in the UDCC is kind of forgotten about, so this one might be used more,” said Kelsey Hayne, employee in the MU Market and Cafe and junior in communication studies.

Although business has been slow, employees of the new venue said they believe it will pick up once students return to class in the fall.

The prospective administration visitors center has been approved to be constructed directly below the market and cafe, which officials hope will attract more customers as prospective students get their first impressions of Iowa State.

“It’s convenient, I think, for people walking through the MU, and also for visitors to campus using the administration center downstairs,” Patel said. “I think it’s a great addition to our department.”

Promotions have been made to advertise the new products and services of the new market and cafe this summer and in the coming fall semester.

Patel said promotions will continue through the end of May and include postcards sent to faculty, staff and students living in Buchanan Hall, “table tents” on tables in dining centers and signs redirecting customers to the new location.

In the fall, posters will be hung on residence hall walls and information will be sent to fraternities and sororities promoting the change in location and the new products being offered.

– Daily staff writers Kim Norvell and Heather Johnson contributed to this story.