More college students pick up popular game of disc golf

Kim Norvell

The sport of disc golf has increased in popularity in the ten years Ames has had recreational courses.

Disc golf is played much like traditional golf, but instead of using balls and clubs, the player uses a flying disc or Frisbee. It is popular with all age groups, but mostly among college students.

Ames has two courses. Carol Marty Disc Golf Course, which is located south of Towers Residence Complex, was dedicated in 1998 and managed by Ames Parks and Recreation. But, because of the increasing interest and demand for tee times, Iowa State opened its own course on Ontario and Stange.

Keith Abraham, recreation supervisor for Ames Parks and Recreation, has seen an increase in the sport’s popularity among college students.

“The course has been immensely popular ever since we opened,” Abraham said. “It seems once it gets nice out, people come out of the woodwork – especially college students who want to take a break.”

Marshal Toms, store manager of Jax Outdoor Gear, 4723 Lincoln Way, has “seen a double-digit increase in disc golf sales over the previous years.”

Most ISU students find enjoyment in the sport because it is a cheap way to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors.

Brian Paul, junior in industrial technology, participates in the sport because it can be played any time of the day or year. On one occasion, Paul played three separate rounds and later met with friends for a round of night golf.

“I enjoy disc golf because it is affordable, a good social activity and a great stress relief,” Paul said. “I have definitely seen an increase in popularity between this season and last – mostly because of the nice weather – but also because of word of mouth and more people getting introduced to it.”

For Steven Nystrom, sophomore in chemical engineering, the ease of accessibility and ability to enjoy the outdoors are a few of the reasons why he participates.

“It’s good to see the sport getting exposure,” Nystrom said. “Hopefully, this means the course will be maintained and the sport will stay around for a while.”

Along with an increase in players comes an increase in trash, and many participants are concerned about this. Even though there are multiple trash cans on both courses, players still leave beer cans and other trash littered about the course.

“I am glad to hear players are concerned with trash,” Abraham said. “Although we are responsible for trash clean-up, one thing we would love to see is that what [players] take in, they take out. Some students bring beer in and toss it aside instead of waiting for a trash can or carrying it out with them.”

Abraham says he is aware of the problem and is going to try to implement further clean-up after knowing players are concerned.

“It has always been a big underground sport,” said Michael Nicholson, Ames resident. “I’m glad to see the increased exposure. It’s laid-back and fun to hang out and be with friends.”