Parade turnout hurt by weather: Cold with snow

Jennifer Dryden

ISU students, alumni, community members and visitors bundled up to watch Saturday’s 2008 Veishea Parade. Trying to stay warm was a challenge in the face of 30-degree temperatures and snow flurries.

Although attendance was lower than in years past, this made it easier for some to find a spot at the last minute and enjoy a good view of the parade. Ames resident Katie Van Roekel has attended the parade for the past 27 years and said this year’s turnout was the lowest she has ever seen.

Jacob Dekkenga, Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication system support specialist, said his wife and three children have been coming to the parade for the past six years.

Despite the cold, the Dekkenga family ventured out for this year’s parade knowing they’d be guaranteed a place to sit because of the weather.

“We are usually here fighting for a place to sit,” Dekkenga said. “Now we had to decide where to sit, because there are so many opportunities.”

Even first-timer Elise Mowatt, 4, enjoyed the parade with her grandmother, Rhonda Davis, by gathering candy and laughing at the people walking by in cherry costumes.

Davis said that, even though Elise’s father graduated from the University of Northern Iowa, Elise is an Iowa State girl at heart. Despite her tender age, Mowatt quickly said she wanted to become an Iowa State student.

Government of the Student Body President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, also attended the parade.

“Even though the weather is a little bit not on our side, I think it’s a fantastic parade,” Phillips said. “A lot of people showed up, bundled up, and that’s great. The crowd’s a little thinner, but that’s to be expected with the weather – but it’s still a strong crowd.”

Astronaut and ISU alumnus Clayton Anderson served as grand marshall for the parade. Anderson, although chilled, said he was honored to be the grand marshall.

Anderson said he remembered warmer weather during Veishea when he was a student and joked about it being so cold.

“I was honored to be the grand marshall, and I think it’s great that so many people are out here on a day like today,” Anderson said. “It shows how important Veishea is and how much spirit there is surrounding this celebration.”

Although Anderson said he was impressed with the community’s ability to battle the elements, others were frustrated with the timing of Veishea and the weather that ensued.

Emily Schaefer, senior in journalism and mass communication, said she was “pissed” that the dates for the next few years’ Veishea celebrations were moved up.

Schaefer said Veishea failed to consider the opinions of the student population in regard to the timing of Veishea.

“I went to get cheese curds last night [Friday] at 1:30 a.m., and it looked like a ghost town,” Schaefer said. “And in years past, it was packed [and] fun – that’s not fun. So I went home.”