Webcomic author ‘does what he has to,’ giving lecture

Tameka Hilson

Procrastination is OK, but students still struggle with the fact that doing things at the last minute may be difficult, especially if you are a graduate student.

“Procrastination does not equal laziness,” said Jorge Cham. “There is a difference between doing it now versus not doing it at all.”

Cham, author of the webcomic “PhD” – “Piled Higher & Deeper” – spoke in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union on Wednesday night. Cham spoke about his experience in grad school and as an artist while bringing humorous insight to the act of procrastination.

“Procrastination is what you do when you’re doing what you want to be doing,” Cham said.

The audience was filled with people of all ages, ranging from staff members to undergraduate students and, most importantly, grad students.

“I have been reading his comic strips for two years and wanted to hear him talk in person,” said Bhavesh Sanghvi, graduate student in computer science.

Cham’s comic has gained notoriety among graduate students across the country for its honest look at life after a bachelor’s degree.

“My first time hearing about him was when one of my professors posted some of his comics outside of his classroom door, and I started to read them because they looked interesting,” said Fadi Towfic, graduate student in computer science. “Another one of my professors left various comics on students’ desks that could have been displayed as a positive or negative reinforcement.”

Alex Davenport, senior in liberal studies, said he reads Cham’s comic all the time and even found a Facebook application that displays an updated comic every day.

After moving through his presentation, Cham talked about getting feedback from people who read his comic strips because it was something they could relate to. He enjoyed hearing back from these people, even when they seem out of the ordinary.

He also listed facts about graduate students and graduate school. Some of the facts were startling, especially those of students getting so overwhelmed that they commit suicide.

“Grad school never ends,” Cham said. “There is that constant anxiety that you should be doing something, but, basically, you don’t do it because you don’t want to do it.”

Cham did not disappoint those who came familiar with his body of work.

“I thought he was very funny and everything he said was realistic. I read his comics before I had come to see him,” said Terry Frazier, graduate student in education leadership and policy studies.