LEWIS: Iowa State cooks up something nice

Bailey Lewis

When you think Iowa State, you may not think art – but maybe you should.

People come from all over to check out our architecture program. Everywhere you turn on campus you can find a sculpture, mural or mosaic. And now the food science program is about to get its own artistic flair.

Culinary science, or culinology, is a proposed major that would combine food science and culinary art, said Pamela White, university professor of food science and human nutrition.

Erica Beirman, program coordinator, said students in this major would take classes not only in food safety and preparation, but also courses in organic chemistry and marketing strategies.

It has yet to pass through faculty senate and the Board of Regents, but Beirman and White are hopeful the major will be approved.

“We’re anticipating good support,” White said.

Also, they’re hoping that in the future any student who has completed the two-year culinary arts program at DMACC could come to Iowa State to take the science and business classes they need to become a food scientist.

Beirman said that in the last few years the food industry has started to look for food scientists who have culinary art skills.

However, a culinology major is still a new idea, and not many schools have taken on a four year degree program. All the more reason for Iowa State to step up to the plate.

We’re all about invention. The Rice Krispie treat was invented here, after all. And can anyone say George Washington Carver? And lo and behold, those examples are food.

This is all extremely interesting to me, because I’m not a ramen and EasyMac college student. I love to cook. And you’d better believe I caught the season premiere of “Top Chef” on Wednesday.

Who doesn’t like to watch chefs prepare kangaroo and sea urchins in the same dish?

Not that we’ll be cooking any zoo animals around here, but it’s still pretty sweet.

Iowa State celebrates both art and science. Our campus is beautiful and high-tech. We have a slew of great minds in the arts and in the sciences, and this program will be vigorous in science and art. This decision should be more than made. Culinology is a natural choice for our university.

Maybe someday our school can be known for integrating science and art.

And if you’re not busy this Wednesday night, I highly recommend the new season of “Top Chef.” Just don’t watch it on an empty stomach.

– Bailey Lewis is a sophomore in English from Indianola.