Jackson, Cosby raced in high school

James Heggen and Rashah Mcchesney

The man arrested in Willow Hall on Sunday morning and another man allegedly involved previously competed against each other in a number of track races in 2006 and 2007.

Jackson was arrested Sunday in connection with an incident in Willow Hall. He was charged with going armed with intent, carrying a weapon on school grounds and first-degree harassment. According to the affidavit, Jackson allegedly went to his vehicle and retrieved a gun, which he allegedly pointed at Cosby.

Cosby, freshman in journalism and mass communication, is a member of the ISU track and field team.

Jackson was listed as a junior at West Aurora High School in Aurora, Ill., when he placed fifth during a 400-meter race against Cosby, then a senior at Frankfort Lincoln-Way East in Mokena, Ill., according to the Illinois High School Association track and field state finals results from 2007.

In May 2006, Jackson, then a junior and Cosby, also a junior, ran in a 4×400 relay.

During the 2007 race, Jackson and Cosby raced in two different heats, with Jackson having the better time. During the 2006 relay, they raced in the same heat, with Jackson’s team qualifying for the finals and Cosby’s team failing to advance.

This video shows the two participating in a race.

University spokeswoman Annette Hacker said police had conducted further investigations throughout Monday.

Hacker said police had done numerous searches of Willow Hall, including the hallways, bathrooms, trash cans and shrubbery outside of the building, but have not yet found a weapon.

“Police have talked to additional people who may have more information,” Hacker said.

Hacker said a number of people have been calling ISU Police with questions about how to change their ISU Alert profiles. Hacker said this tying up the police dispatch and that the profiles can be changed in AccessPlus.

To learn how to update your ISU Alert information, visit the ISU Alert page for a step-by-step walk through.

According to court documents, Jawon Jackson was found by police in 6523 Willow Hall. Police received a call at 12:53 a.m. Sunday reporting that a man with a gun was seen on the sixth floor of Willow Hall.

At about 1:42 a.m., Iowa State activated the ISU Alert system, sending out text messages, e-mails and phone calls.

At approximately 2:50 a.m., according to the ISU home page, Jackson was found by police.

Jackson was transported to the Story County Justice Center and is being held pending further court action. He is not an ISU student.

According to court documents, Jackson, who appeared in court without counsel, has waived his application for court-appointed counsel and the bail has been set at $30,000. Jackson is also to not have any contact with Marvin Cosby or enter ISU property.

A preliminary hearing for Jackson is set for March 27 at the Story County Courthouse.