Application process for Veishea positions to change for 2009

Jennifer Dryden

A change in the application process for the Veishea executive board will likely have an impact on the 2009 celebration.

Instead of having applicants wait until the fall to apply for the Veishea executive board, applications will become available April 4. The general co-chairpersons will also be chosen during this time, as it is every year.

The reason for the change is to allow applicants time during the summer to become acquainted with the position and the people involved.

The process starts with a paper application and the applicant signing up for an interview time slot. After that, the selection process begins.

“General co-chair [applicants] will interview with Kyle and myself as well as our advisers and selective administrators,” said Megan Todd, Veishea general co-chairwoman and senior in marketing. “Then, executive board applicants will meet with the 2009 general co-chairs once they have been selected.”

All applicants are required to write essays about their personal interest in Veishea and ideas for the 2009 Veishea.

Eligibility is open to all current students of Iowa State who hold at least a 2.0 GPA and good academic standing with the university.

Kyle Peterson, Veishea general co-chairman and junior in marketing, said he and Todd both put in about 50 hours per week at their positions.

“I think you have to have a really strong passion for Veishea to do our job. It’s a lot of hard work, a lot of things that most students have no idea what we do on a daily basis,” Todd said.

As general co-chairpersons, Peterson and Todd said they have two major responsibilities.

“First is leading the 31-person executive board, managing that, and the second is acting as the face of the organization and representing Veishea to the outside community, to Iowa State administrators and to students,” Peterson said.

Todd said there is a misconception about having to be greek to be a part of Veishea, which she said is “absolutely false.”

Co-chairperson positions include: alumni relations, business manager, campus showcase, campus and community involvement, catering, entertainment, office manager, operations, parade, public relations, security, special events, sponsorship, Stars Over Veishea, tournaments and Veishea Village.