Daily names editors in chief for summer, fall semesters

Thomas Grundmeier

In a split decision, the Iowa State Daily Publication Board selected the new editor in chief for the summer semester and upcoming fall and spring semesters.

Chris Conetzkey, managing editor of the Daily and junior in journalism and mass communication, was named editor in chief of the Iowa State Daily effective fall 2008.

Josh Hillman, Daily opinion editor and senior in journalism and mass communication, was the only summer applicant and will take the paper’s reins over the summer.

The other applicant for the fall/spring semester was James Heggen, Daily news editor and senior in journalism and mass communication.

The final vote was five votes for Conetzkey and four abstentions.

Barbara Mack, Publication Board member and associate professor of journalism and communication, said the decision was not easy. Both candidates, she said, show great commitment and respect for journalism, the First Amendment and the newspaper.

“Some of us were asking, ‘can we have co-editors?'” Mack told Conetzkey and Heggen.

Conetzkey said that by improving the quality of the Daily as a workplace, the newspaper and Web site will improve as well.

“Ultimately, if we’re doing a good job and becoming better at what we do in terms of preparing us for what we’re doing, it’s going to mean a better product is coming out of it,” he said.

One of the perks of working at the Daily, Conetzkey said, is working with a strong staff that also happen to be friends.

“We learned it was a tough competition, and James and I are obviously friends first and foremost,” he said. “It doesn’t matter what I can bring . it also comes down to the people I’m working with, and James is going to be there all next year.”

Heggen said he was a bit disappointed, but not downtrodden, by the results.

“I’m flattered that it was a close vote,” he said. “I’m glad that I was seriously considered.”

Pat Shaver, current editor in chief of the Daily and senior in journalism and mass communication, said Conetzkey is ready to move the newspaper forward.

“Chris has a very good vision of where he wants the Daily to be,” he said. “He has strong leadership skills, and I think it will be a great learning experience for him to be editor in chief.”

Hillman’s plans for the summer semester include an increased online presence, more recruitment and making a strong transition from the summer semester to the fall semester.

“I think the first two weeks of each semester are some of the most important for the Daily,” he said. “It’s when the students decide if they want to include the Daily in their daily routine.”