Pitchers carrying Cyclones

Dan Wright

Freshman pitcher Rachel Zabriskie did something in her first collegiate start that few Cyclones have done in four years of college.

She threw a no-hitter. Eight days later, she did it again. After that impressive start, the Texas native is drawing early comparisons to fellow Texan and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan, who threw a record seven no-hitters in the major leagues.

“You never go into a game expecting to throw a no-hitter,” Zabriskie said. “But I’ve been able to throw strikes, and that’s been the key.”

After just three starts, Zabriskie is tied with Courtney Dully (1994-98) for the most no-hitters in ISU history. Prior to this season, the program had only recorded five no-hitters since it began in 1974, the last coming from Zabriskie’s teammate, senior Amie Ford, in 2006.

In four appearances this season, Zabriskie has gone 3-1 with a 1.27 earned run average, striking 27 batters out and walking just eight in 22 innings of work.

Ryan’s first no-hitter, like Zabriskie’s, was followed quickly by his second. Ryan’s initial no-hitters came two months apart, the first on May 15, 1973, and the second on July 15. Nicknamed the “Ryan Express” due to his deadly fastball that was regularly clocked at around 100 mph, Ryan also used a knee-buckling curveball to strike out a major league record 5,714 batters over 27 seasons.

Like Ryan, pitch speed is one of Zabriskie’s assets, though she relies on an assortment of six different pitches. While Zabriskie is capable of throwing a fastball by the opposing hitter, she understands that a variety of options is more effective.

“Anyone in Division I can catch up to heat,” she said. “As long as I have two pitches working, I’ll be fine. It’s nice to have another pitch to go to when the other team is hitting the other pitches.”

Assistant coach Gary Hines said that, although it’s good to have velocity, movement and pitch location will continue to be the keys to her success.

“What she does best is moves the ball,” he said. “The best thing she can do is move the ball in and out and up. Just like in baseball, location is the biggest thing.”

Hines has been involved in softball for more than 30 years. He doesn’t recall seeing any freshman throw two no-hitters so early in her career.

“That’s pretty unique for a freshman pitcher at this level, although coaches are more concerned with the way they pitched the game,” Hines said. “What it really shows me is that she’s a competitor, and it’s an indication of her ability to compete.”

As a team, the Cyclones have been efficient on the mound and not given their opponents extra base runners, leading the Big 12 with a 3.9-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

Sophomore Charissa Carlin has walked only two batters in 17.1 innings, and Ford has allowed only three base runners in 5.2 innings of work. The Cyclones have already pitched two shutouts after throwing only three all last season.

The strong performance by the pitching staff has helped the Cyclones get off to the program’s best start since the 1994-95 season, going 7-1 in two out-of-state tournaments against non-conference opponents. Iowa State is in the midst of a streak of 34 away games.

This weekend, the Cyclones will look to continue their success when they travel to Chattanooga, Tenn., to play in the Chattanooga Challenge. Iowa State will play Eastern Kentucky (2-2), Chattanooga, (2-4), Akron (1-3) and Bowling Green (0-0) in the team’s third tournament of the season.

Although Iowa State has had a great deal of success early in the season, the team understands the competition will only get better once conference play begins.

“Obviously, it’s going to get tougher once we start playing conference games against bigger schools,” Zabriskie said. “We’re going to try to keep the momentum going and continue to improve.”