Hawkeyes ban smoking, offer quitting assistance

Kyle Ferguson

The University of Iowa recently announced that its entire campus would be smoke free by 2009.

“We’ve had some discussion about this for a long time,” said Steve Parrott, director of university relations at Iowa. “This goes with the general consensus of opinion.”

The university’s plan involves ensuring that all students, faculty and staff have access to smoking cessation programs either for free or for a very small fee, he said. In addition, employees get up to $300 in reimbursement for nicotine replacement or prescription drugs to help them quit smoking, according to a news release.

“This is a big effort on the university’s part, and we want to emphasize that this will take some time,” Parrott said. “We’re not putting up cameras on campus to catch smokers, but we are letting everyone know. This will help promote civility and respect for others.”

Iowa State’s current smoking policy is that smokers be no fewer than 25 feet from any doorway, window or vent while smoking.

“We adopted this policy about two years ago,” said Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance for Iowa State. “It was recommended by several commissions, and we adopted it.”

Legislature restricting or outright banning smoking in some areas has been a hot ally topic of discussion lately, but the issue hasn’t had the same popularity in Ames.

“A totally smoke-free campus hasn’t come up as a topic from any constituent groups or public health groups recently,” Madden said. “There are certain policies for outdoor areas, such as concerts, but prohibiting smoking on all 1,800 acres of Central Campus isn’t currently being discussed.”

One question of Iowa’s plan is what to do with the few who will remain hooked on cigarettes in spite of taking the programs.

“We will wish them the best, but remind them that there is no smoking on campus,” Parrott said.

Madden said the nature of our campus would also question the use of a similar policy at Iowa State.

“Our outside environment really raises questions about the significance of second hand smoke,” Madden said.

Also, Iowa State’s current policy hasn’t raised too many objections.

“We haven’t had any reports of people smoking inside buildings or within 25 feet of them,” Madden said. “Concern about our current policy hasn’t really been raised to a high enough level to ban it entirely from campus.”

William Suppes, graduate student in economics, said that forcing people to quit by a certain date isn’t a good idea.

“Forcing people to do anything isn’t a good idea,” he said. “There won’t be a problem if people who smoke just be polite, and not do things like blow smoke in people’s faces. Besides, with smoking, people will do it unless the policy is actually enforced.”