Rec renovations pass student referendum with 52 percent of vote [with video]

James Heggen

Last updated at 10:49 a.m.

The proposed $52.8 million recreation services renovation passed a student referendum by a vote of 3,369 to 3,097.

Almost 30 people were on hand for the announcement, which was made at approximately 9:30 a.m. Thursday the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union.

Nathan Pick, co-chair for the student referendum committee and graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, made the announcement.

After the announcement, Government of the Student Body president Brian Phillips, senior in political science, spoke and fielded questions.

He said about two-thirds of the students who voted filled out the demographic and comment section of the ballot, which is being sorted through and broken down.

“Clearly, this is a close vote,” he said.

Phillips said student input will continue to be taken as the project progresses.

Phillips said the next step is to give the information to the Special Student Fee and Tuition Committee. The committee will review it and make its recommendation. It then goes to ISU President Gregory Geoffroy.

“Then President Geoffroy will review it and make his recommendation to the Board of Regents sometime this spring,” he said.

Phillips also said some students groups will still be giving their input.

The Gradate and Professional Student Senate will vote on its resolution for the renovations next Monday.