Go clubbin’

Sydney Smith

Less than 30 minutes after it began Tuesday evening, ClubFest had the Durham Great Hall of the Memorial Union packed with students witnessing presentations on subjects ranging from fraternities to internship opportunities, and billiards to bondage, and everything in between.

As students meandered by small displays hosted by campus groups, members of each group handed out informational fliers, candy, stickers and attention-nabbing facts while donning catchy memorabilia to draw students’ interest to their booths.

The Guild of Wargamers and Roleplayers displayed a large poster, papered with various photos, that characterized their club and filled its table space with miniature figures.

Liz Spain, president of the club and senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, said this is her fourth year working at ClubFest and that the event continually brings in new members.

“Usually we have a good number come in, and they find new games,” Spain said. “It’s interesting to see . and they really like it.”

Many students who attended the event said that they were interested in learning about organizations on campus and ways they can get involved.

Maureen Degnan, sophomore in pre-business, said Tuesday was her first time attending ClubFest.

“[I came to ClubFest] to get more information about a couple fraternities and sororities for business,” Degnan said. After looking through a number of displays, she said she was interested in a few business-related clubs.

“I’ve gotten great information from both,” she said.

Other students didn’t necessarily know what to expect, but came to see what the event was all about.

Tom Litterer, freshman in pre-business, said he was drawn to ClubFest after reading an e-mail about the event.

“We decided to come check it out and see if there was anything interesting,” Litterer said.

ClubFest takes place twice a year, at the start of the fall and spring semesters. It opens the opportunity for students to get involved on campus.

“[Clubfest] is an opportunity for student organizations to highlight their groups and, potentially, to recruit new members,” said Kris Olds, assistant director of student activities at the Memorial Union.

Olds said that in years past, the event, which featured more than 200 clubs Tuesday, has pulled in anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 students interested in learning more about organizations they can join.

The event, hosted by the Student Activities Center, benefits to both parties involved.

“The organizations tell us that they like the opportunity to show what they do and sell themselves,” Olds said. “We hear from students that this is the first time they’ve been aware of groups that would be a good fit for them.”