Student Government honors faculty

Taylor Blum/Iowa State Daily

College of Human Sciences Senator Wyatt Scheu talks about organizations who help support Student Government. Student Government held a meeting Feb. 13 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Jake Webster

Student Government gave awards to three faculty and staff members and recognized others at their meeting Wednesday.

Sen. Wyatt Scheu introduced the winners of the staff awards, saying “many of these members of our faculty and staff go the extra mile to ensure that students, student groups and other departments at the university are not only functional, but thriving.”

The winners named by Scheu were Dean of Library Services Beth McNeil, Director of University Marketing Carole Custer and Program Director for Engineering Student Services Joel Johnson.

“I’m really honored to receive this,” McNeil said. “I was thinking a lot about the library and the traffic, and if you’ve been in lately I’m both sorry and very excited about that.”

Student Government also reviewed several funding bills.

A trip to Minnesota for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers to send students to a regional leadership development in Minnesota was approved 29-0-0.

A bill that would have approved funding for the women’s softball club to play in Missouri was removed from the agenda on account of their home field having dried out, and another funding bill for the Pakistan Student Association was postponed indefinitely on account of lack of communication.

Committee directors gave reports on their committee’s actions.

Civic Engagement Committee updates were given by Sen. Jacob Schrader. He said they will have an event from 6 to 8 p.m. on April 9 called Civic Engagement 101 in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

The event will go over topics such as how to register voters, what are election laws in Iowa and how to advocate for candidates at Iowa State while following university and state laws, Schrader said.

Scheu gave updates on the University Affairs Committee, saying they were asked to leave the Women in STEM banners in the library up longer as they were getting a lot of attention.

Hector Arbuckle, a senior in biology and member of Climate Reality Campus Corps, spoke during open forum to voice support for the climate commitment plan, and other members of the organization attended in support.

Sen. Courtney Beringer, who discussed the resolution, said the goal of the plan is to have 100 percent of Iowa State’s energy renewably generated by 2035 or be offset by renewable energy credits.

Renewable energy credits are a way for universities to invest in renewable energy, Beringer said.

“The wind turbines or solar panels might be in Texas or Arizona, and Iowa State invests in them and it offsets your carbon output,” Beringer said.

Lucas Goodman, the proposal coordinator for Climate Reality Campus Corps, said the plan would set “a precedent, not just here at Iowa State on a state level, on a national level and on a global level.”

Sen. Kaitlyn Sanchez asked why the Student Government should support renewable energy credits when the university is “already struggling with rising tuition and paying for budgeting in general,” adding that the university has fallen millions of dollars behind in deferred maintenance.

“They wouldn’t do it if it would increase tuition,” Beringer said.

The resolution was approved by unanimous consent.

Director of Sustainability Merry Rankin will present Iowa State’s renewability plan in full next week.