City Council polls open today.

Kyle Ferguson

Election day is here.

Yesterday, City Council candidates were asked to talk about a few issues that are key to the city of Ames. Today, the candidates are talking about why they think students should vote in this election.

“Students need to know their candidates,” said Maggie Luttrell, Government of the Student Body ex-officio City Council liaison and junior in history. “Everyone seems to be endorsing [Riad] Mahayni, and the students need to know who everyone else is, and see if their views are different or the same.”

Andy Bock, challenger for Ward 4, said students should vote because it’s the responsible thing to do and that students should always consider the future.

“Even though students won’t be here in few years, the decisions they make will affect future students’ opportunities,” he said. “Certainly previous students have had some visions that they never directly benefited from, that we do now. But even in the day-to-day issues, having a direct connection to people that are involved in decisions can benefit students.”

Riad Mahayni, incumbent for Ward 4, said students should vote because it is their right, and they would be remiss to not use it.

“The students should exercise their right to vote, and they should cherish it, because many people around the globe don’t have this pleasure,” he said. “I, myself, am an example. The first time I voted was in 1986.”

He also believes students are citizens first and foremost, and should be treated accordingly.

“I had an interview four years ago where the reporter came to a council meeting, when Ryan Doll ran as a student for the council,” he said. “He asked me, ‘How would you like Ryan, a student, on the City Council?’ And I never forgot my response, because that really cracked him up, I said, ‘Ryan is a citizen before he is a student.'”

Pat Brown, challenger for the at-large seat, said it is important for everyone to vote, not just students.

“My girls vote. I joked with them once that if you don’t vote, you don’t get your college tuition,” she said. “But I feel strongly about that. I am from a very politically involved family.”

She also said she knows students are very involved in their lives, and the city should try to get information to them a little more.

“We should cut them a little slack,” she said.

Matthew Goodman, incumbent for the at-large seat, wants students to vote because he knows the feeling of frustration people get, when they have to suffer through a poor government, and doesn’t want it to happen to anyone.

“The reason why is because even if it doesn’t appear, at the time, that your life is going to be affected, it will be,” he said. “And the worst feeling in the world is to be a citizen who is frustrated by something government does, when government is doing it, and then to look back in hindsight and realize that they didn’t take an interest in the government that was going to represent them.”

He also said students should not just vote, but also get informed about who they’re voting for.

“Talk to somebody, anybody, see if anybody knows a little something to give you, some semblance of knowledge so that you feel you can go vote, and have an impact on the community,” Goodman said. “Because there’s nothing like being frustrated by government and realizing that you didn’t take the steps to add input to it.”

He finally said that he understands the time constraints put on students and how that can lead to students not voting.

“There’s no burning issue for students right now, I don’t think. I think Campustown is the closest thing to it,” he said. “But the real reason to vote is that you want good people to represent you no matter what level it is. And if you’re all caught up in your organic exam, which I have been, I’ve walked in those shoes, I understand why it seems like 10 minutes is a lot of time to get educated.”

Jami Larson, incumbent for Ward 2, who is running unopposed, said students should vote because they have just as much right to voice their opinion as any other citizen, and there are plenty of students who choose to stay in the community, so they will be more affected by the council.

“I am a good example of someone that graduated from Iowa State in four years, and then got involved in the community,” Larson said.

“I decided to stay here, get a job, and I’m still here 34 years after I graduated. I hope we can create those kinds of opportunities for students who are currently living here, and who want to stay here. It provides a vibrancy to the community that we wouldn’t have otherwise.”

Although the burden of getting voting information, about candidates out to students rests with the candidates, Luttrell said, students should get involved more in the city, so they can feel more connected to their community.

“Having students on boards and commissions would give them a chance to put their 2 cents in,” she said.

She also said that the community is still trying to grow and understand the roles students are playing, and will play in the future.

“Iowa State may have been here for 150 years, but that doesn’t mean that it’s been ‘a part’ of Ames all these 150 years,” she said.