Survey, Wallace Hall helpful in student caucus recruiting

Elizabeth Ricker

With the Jan. 3 caucuses approaching, students who are interested in participating are now offered the opportunity to return to Ames to caucus.

Wallace Hall is going to have one floor open from Jan. 2 to 4 to provide a housing opportunity for students interested in caucusing.

Peter Englin, director of the department of residence, said the department will charge students $19.50 per night and the opportunity will be open to any student who currently has an ISU residence contract. However, there’s no need to make a reservation; students can simply show up to Wallace Hall. A staff member will be on duty all three days.

“The goal is to help students whose contract does not cover winter break, if this is where they want to caucus.” Englin said.

Englin said the problem of where to house students during the caucus has never been a problem, because the caucus has always occurred after classes have begun for the spring semester. As soon as the date was pushed to Jan. 3, the department of residence began receiving inquiries.

“Most questions [about housing] came from student groups that affiliate with a specific candidate,” Englin said.

Englin said along with the 10th floor of Wallace, there may be some additional space, but currently there doesn’t seem to be much demand.

Stephanie Lichter, president of ISU College Republicans and junior in political science, said she thought this may increase the number of people participating in the caucus, but it wouldn’t be the determining factor.

“For those people who want to caucus . they will find a place. That’s not a problem,” Lichter said.

Lichter said she plans to caucus in her hometown.

Amanda Halfacre, president of ISU Democrats and junior in women’s studies, said she thought this was a positive decision.

“Before, especially for freshmen, it would have been really difficult to find a place to stay,” Halfacre said.

According to a survey done by students in the Sociology 302B course, Intermediate Research Methods, which was sent to all students who are currently attending Iowa State University, 58 percent of registered voters intend to caucus.

Halfacre said she was not surprised.

“It’s something that has so much excitement surrounding it, and it’s so easy to participate in,” Halfacre said.

The survey was returned by approximately 8 percent of the recipients, which professor of sociology Bill Woodman said was a good turnout.

“If you look at the ISU fact book, our sample looks like the average student,” Woodman said. “About gender balanced.”

The survey did not record where students intend to caucus, and Woodman said this could mean they will caucus in their hometown precincts, where a few students may have a large impact.

Halfacre said students who return to Ames, which she intends to do herself, would also have a big impact.

“Some precincts are almost entirely students, so before there might not have been many students show up,” Halfacre said. “This will really help those precincts.”

The sociology survey also recorded whom students were planning to caucus for. Of registered Democrats who completed the survey, 57 percent said they would caucus for Barack Obama, D-Ill. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., followed in second place with 14 percent.

Of registered republicans, 27 percent said they plan to caucus for Ron Paul, R-Texas, followed by Mitt Romney, R-Mass., with 24 percent.

Lichter said she was not surprised that Paul had such a strong polling.

“A big surge of support for him has come from younger groups,” Lichter said. “Those in college or just out.”