Arnaud sees extensive playing time

Tommy Birch

Backup quarterback Austen Arnaud got more than just experience Saturday.

The redshirt freshman from Ames completed the longest pass of Iowa State’s season and helped orchestrate two Cyclone drives that resulted in scores in the Cyclones’ 31-20 win over Kansas State.

“When I went in there, I just wanted to put on a show and try and get some more playing time,” Arnaud said.

It was a quite a show he put on. With 5:08 remaining in the first quarter, Arnaud took the field for the third time this season and led the Cyclones on an eight-play scoring drive that drove Iowa State 90 yards down the field for their second touchdown of the day. During the drive, he completed a 35-yard pass to running back Alexander Robinson and a 25-yard pass to wide receiver Marquis Hamilton. After Robinson finished it off with a 3-yard touchdown, Arnaud was greeted first on the sidelines by senior starting quarterback Bret Meyer.

“He just said, ‘Good job, keep it rolling,” Arnaud said. “Me and him are going to feed off each other. He made big plays today and so did I.”

In fact, Arnaud added several more. After a three-and-out series in the third quarter, the backup returned in the fourth quarter. With Iowa State leading 28-20 with 12:10 remaining in the game, Arnaud led the Cyclones on another scoring drive, which included a 51-yard pass to wide receiver Todd Blythe. Iowa State settled for a 25-yard field goal by Bret Culbertson.

“I thought he made some plays, he made some throws, I thought he managed the team well and that’s what we’re looking for, guys that go in there and can move the team and manage the team and don’t turn the ball over,” said coach Gene Chizik.

Arnaud did plenty of that. The redshirt freshman finished the day completing 5 of 7 passes for 130 yards. His 51-yard pass was the longest play from the line of scrimmage for the Cyclones this season and his first-quarter appearance marked his first meaningful playing time of the year.

Arnaud made his collegiate debut in week two of the season in the third quarter against Northern Iowa and saw sporadic playing time in losses to Nebraska and Texas. Chizik said he and offensive coordinator Robert McFarland had planned throughout the week on using Arnaud during meaningful situations.

“It was big for him to be in there and it was big for him to be in there in situations where the game was always in hand,” Chizik said. “The game [Saturday] was close the whole day and the whole way through.”

It’s those times Arnaud said he hopes to find himself more often now.

“I came in just expecting the best,” Arnaud said. “That’s what I wanted. I want to be thrown in those situations.”

How the backup played impressed many, including Meyer, who, despite being on the bench, said he was pleased with how the redshirt freshman played.

“That’s huge, confidence-wise,” Meyer said. “The next time he gets in that situation, I think it’ll help him out to have been there before and had success with it.”

Having spent most of the day in those situations, Arnaud said he now feels comfortable.

“This was definitely the biggest situation I’ve been in in my life,” Arnaud said. “High school matters, but to a certain extent, your playing with the big boys now. It just felt great out there.”