Phi Kappa Psi makes emphatic campus comeback

Sydney Smith

Phi Kappa Psi is back on campus, and it’s sporting a new look.

With a newly remodeled house, a sharper focus on the fraternity’s values and a group of men willing to be part of the brotherhood, the returning chapter is hoping to re-establish what it means to be a member of the greek community.

Ronald Ransom, director of expansion for the national headquarters of Phi Kappa Psi, said one of the largest changes the new chapter would like to affect in the greek community is encouraging respect and appreciation for what the community stands for.

“Our goal is not to see who can throw the best party, or who can look the best,” Ransom said. “It’s about helping our men and women through experiences and opportunities offered by being part of the greek life.”

The new chapter was officially initiated as an ISU fraternity Oct. 27 at an induction ceremony and banquet. Alumni members from across the country, including Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, traveled to Ames to witness the chartering.

With its induction behind it, Phi Kappa Psi is returning to campus after a seven-year absence. The fraternity was suspended as an official chapter in 2000 because of a struggling membership. The lack of members could be attributed to poor leadership and a suffering house GPA, said Joshua Jensen, vice president of Phi Kappa Psi and sophomore in mechanical engineering.

Phi Kappa Psi made its comeback to Iowa State with the work of five members who worked to make their colony back into an official fraternity.

With the fresh start, the chapter is enthusiastic about redefining its reputation with a strong leadership foundation, its status as a dry house, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. quiet hours and a system to help members with grades.

Instead of punishing members with grades below the required GPA, Ransom said the chapter will be there to help.

“We’ll utilize university resources, the other men in the house that can support the member, and be supportive of our men,” he said.

Trailing the chapter’s new reputation is its extensive house makeover. The chapter house completed a $1.3 million renovation of the basement and first and second floors of its 1920s home in summer 2006.

Further renovation is intended to complete the third floor next summer, raising the house capacity from 24 to 38.