POTRATZ: Lazy losers and their laptops

Chris Potratz

So many students here sit begrudgingly through class. Many choose to escape learning altogether by gluing their glazed-over, “I got so wasted last night” eyes to their laptops during lecture. Some watch the most recent “cool” music video, while others choose mind-numbing video games over listening to their professors. Of course, if music videos or games are not your thing, you can always watch the newest YouTube video of some frat boy lighting his face on fire. All of these are obviously better choices than actually listening and learning.

Like so many other military veterans here, I learned a great deal during my four years in the Air Force. I learned a lot about gratitude, and a lot about priorities. For those four years all I could dream about was going to college. I wanted so badly to free myself from the structure of military life, and come somewhere that could enrich my mind. I constantly remind myself of what a great opportunity this is, and try my hardest not to take this for granted. Sadly, though, it seems so many people do take it for granted, wasting their class time on games and MySpace instead of absorbing what our professors are giving us.

These hours of solitaire are truly baffling. We are choosing to receive this education; hell, we are paying for it too. No one is holding your hand, forcing you to be here. In what other sort of context would someone actually fork out thousands of dollars on a product, only to throw the product away? It would be like buying a brand-new Lexus, and then driving into Lake LaVerne just for the hell of it. Too many people here have no idea how good they have it. They look at going to class as some sort of punishment, which is truly absurd.

What I so desperately want to know is, why do these people come to class in the first place? Why would you waste a seat in a class that could have been filled by someone potentially more deserving? Iowa State has a wide range of students, anyone from international transfer students to single mothers who finally get a chance at college – both of whom are more deserving of that seat than you who choose to waste your time.

This brain-damaging buffet of pop culture you indulge in during class is not only diminishing your education – it’s affecting those in your vicinity. A computer screen flashing with the lights and quick-moving action of the newest “Half-Life” video game is not the easiest thing to ignore while sitting through lecture. Disturbing the rest of the class with your quest to defeat some intergalactic enemy is flat-out irresponsible, not to mention selfish.

Americans spend an average of seven hours a day watching television. Why add to that number by watching online videos in class? This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to receive the greatest thing a human being can receive, an education. There are so many people in so many places in the world that would die to have such a great mecca of education at their disposal – why waste it?

I do not expect every student to come to class day after day with an optimistic disposition. I damn sure don’t. What I do hope for and expect from people is that they respect what Iowa State has to offer. Even more, what our professors have to offer. They are here day after day, just as we are. They deserve our attention.

So for the sake of your education, and whoever is paying for it, be it yourself or your family, put down the laptop for one hour and pay attention. Four years from now you will not look back and wish you had watched more YouTube. You will more than likely look back and wish you could have held on and soaked up every minute of this enriching experience.

&#8212 Chris Potratz is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Dallas, Texas.