Campus safety main objective of violence-free policy

Sydney Smith

A new policy will be implemented this semester to cement the ISU values of safety and security on campus.

The violence-free campus policy outlines statements such as “violence will not be tolerated,” as well as ways the university goes about assessing and enforcing claims of violence on campus.

“What [the policy task force] would like to do is educate the campus on procedures one must go through to prevent, react and respond to when found in potentially violent situations,” said Kathryn Overberg, associate university counsel.

Although the policy may be new to Iowa State, the details it encompasses are not. ISU Police Cmdr. Gene Deisinger said the university has had a mechanism for early identification for persons who could potentially pose as threats to campus security since the mid-’90s.

“The policy is not a response to Virginia Tech,” Deisinger said. “But it has led to a greater focus on security and the importance of timeliness.”

Overberg said the policy is taking all the current polices about violence and putting them together in one document.

“This policy just identifies it all in one place,” Overberg said. “It is one-stop shopping in looking for violence prevention.”

The policy was developed by a small task force that included representatives from human resources, professional and scientific staff and faculty, who included Overberg and Deisinger. The task force began meeting in the spring to discuss the policy, and now a copy of its most current draft can be found online.

The policy library is an online resource that holds all campus policies in one place for easy access, said Sheryl Rippke, program manager for the president. Students and staff alike are encouraged to read the draft and provide the task force with concerns, suggestions and all other related feedback, she said. The policy will be posted as a draft on the Web site until Oct. 11, when the committee will review suggestions and alter the policy accordingly.

Overberg said the point of the policy is to provide students with the ability to find and understand their options in a frightening situation.

“If you’re in a crisis, this is going to help you.” she said.