Error is not an option for ISU football team

Tommy Birch

ISU cornerback Allen Bell went through community college hearing stories about Oklahoma running back Allen Patrick.

Bell, who attended Independence Community College a year after Patrick, will get his first look at the running back when the No. 4 Sooners (6-1, 2-1 Big 12) come to Ames on Saturday for a matchup with Iowa State (1-6, 0-3).

“Just based off [the stories], he sounds like a super good player,” Bell said. “He’s just a motor that went all day, every day – a nonstop player.”

While Patrick may have been a good player during his junior college years, the senior running back is putting up some big numbers at the Division I level. In the Sooners’ first seven games, he’s rushed for 455 yards and reached the end zone five times.

“Patrick combines everything,” said ISU coach Gene Chizik. “Speed, power – he brings everything to the table. Good pass blocker, just a tough guy.”

Patrick isn’t the only Sooner running back Chizik’s defense will focus on, as Oklahoma has used three different players to guide its running game. Along with Patrick, Sooners’ coach Bob Stoops has used redshirt freshman DeMarco Murray and sophomore Chris Brown. The three have combined to rush for 1,161 yards this season.

“They’re going to keep pounding you with them,” Chizik said. “They’re going to bring them and they’re going to run each of them equally as well.”

It’s a philosophy Stoops has stuck with throughout the season, including the 41-31 victory over No. 11 Missouri last Saturday. Against the Tigers, Patrick had 11 carries for 44 yards, Murray had four for 2 yards, and Brown added 13 carries for 67 yards including three second-half touchdowns.

“These guys are all good players and there’s enough snaps for everybody and they’re getting them and they’re making the most of them,” Stoops said.

There will be no doubts about who will be taking the opening snaps for the Sooners at quarterback, as redshirt freshman Sam Bradford has started every game for Oklahoma this season. In seven games, Bradford has completed 128 of 181 passes for 1,689 yards and 20 touchdowns.

“He’s not making mistakes,” Chizik said. “He’s getting them out of bad plays. He’s a young guy – just really sharp and really poised at what he does.”

The Cyclone offense, however, has had its share of troubles getting into the end zone. Iowa State’s last touchdown came on Oct. 6, in Lubbock, Texas, against Texas Tech. The Cyclones rank 115th in the nation in scoring offense but have had plenty of scoring opportunities.

“It’s mistakes like penalties and it’s just lack of execution on our part at times,” said sophomore wide receiver Marquis Hamilton. “We do good things, and then all of a sudden we shoot ourselves in the foot, which is stopping ourselves from scoring touchdowns.”

Despite the Cyclones’ offensive problems, Stoops said he expects a disciplined ISU team. After spending five years as an assistant coach with the Iowa Hawkeyes, he said he’s got a good understanding of the type of players Iowa produces.

“They’re positive, good guys that always work hard, that always have a good attitude,” Stoops said.

Whatever running back or passing game Stoops decides to go with, Chizik said the Sooners don’t have many weaknesses on offense or defense.

“You want your eyes poked out or your nose cut off,” Chizik said. “Which one do you want, really. They can run it, they can throw it, and they can play the run.

“Our margin of error is very slim.”