Memorial Union Workspace offers do-it-yourself activities

Anthony Capps

For students interested in do-it-yourself projects, there’s a perfect place to do it right on campus.

The Workspace at the Memorial Union offers several workshops that allows students and the public the opportunity to get hands-on experience in creating items such as lip balm, photos, bookshelves and pottery, and participating in dancing.

Registration is required for each workshop and space is limited so early registration is encouraged.

On average, the workshops range in prices from $10 to $30.

Mapping Memories: Memoir Writing Workshop

Saturday

2-5 p.m.

ISU students: $10 / Public: $15

Mapping Memories is taught by Emily Lupita Plum, graduate student in English, who said the class is all about getting one’s life on paper.

“We are going to start by writing down people’s lives and from there, write out their memoirs,” Plum said.

The workshop is three hours long and unlike most other workshops, it is only a single session. It will use maps, photographs and keepsakes to help write the participants’ memoirs.

“They are going to have to map out their life and write out the first chapter of their memoir,” Plum said.

Participants are to bring maps, photographs or keepsakes of any kind to help begin.

“It’s about getting your memoirs down on paper for future generations,” she said.

Rings

Mondays beginning Nov. 5

7-9:30 p.m. for two weeks

ISU students: $27 / Public: $32

This workshop allows participants to design and create their own silver ring.

People will learn to saw, pierce, stamp, file and polish the metal in the process of making the ring.

Oil Painting

Wednesdays beginning Oct. 17

7-9 p.m. for six weeks

ISU students: $49 / Public: $54

Oil painting instructor and instructional supply specialist of agronomy Maria Lux said the workshop is for anyone who would like to learn to paint.

“[The workshop] is more for the process of painting than for the finished product.”

Both beginner and advanced painters are welcomed to be join. Participants will become more comfortable using oil paint and gain confidence in color mixing.

“It can be intimidating to start painting. I want to see them advance,” Lux said.

This is Lux’s first time teaching for the Workspace. She is an ISU alumna who majored in fine arts. This summer she participated in the Des Moines Arts Festival.

“I look forward to being more involved in teaching,” she said. “I’m teaching a sort of basic beginning class, but anyone can participate.”

Lip Balm and Salves

Thursdays beginning Nov. 6

6-9 p.m. for two weeks

ISU students: $28 / Public: $33

Participants will learn how to make their own lip balm and all-purpose healing salves. The workshop will use natural ingredients and simple recipes in making the products.

Easy steps will be taught so participants can replicate lip balms and salves in the home.

The Workspace is located in the east basement of the Memorial Union.

Registration is available by:

• Mailing a registration form to the Workspace
  • Calling 294-0970 and use credit card
  • Stopping by during open hours and registering with cash, check or credit card