Getting it on with information

Holly Johannsen

Let’s talk about sex.

Sally Deters, residence life coordinator at Iowa State, has been saying that for the last 33 years.

After realizing in her college years that many women did not know the different methods of birth control, Deters had the desire to educate people on the topic of sex. Through sexuality classes, reading and self-teaching, her program has become what many know it as today – Sally Sex Talk.

“I think people make the best choices when they know about the decisions they’re making,” Deters said. “I thought that people talk about birth control and physical stuff all the time in the home, but they don’t.”

Although it is important that students know the information being presented, Deters presents in her own unique way.

“The me comes out that likes to entertain and likes to have fun. From the very beginning, I lighten up the situation,” Deters said. “I make fun of things. I make fun of me, and I make fun of others in a way that engages people in the program.”

Deters said students get a number of sex talks throughout their school years, but many are lectures in which students just learn the facts and are expected to learn from it.

“For me, much of the time I go in, it isn’t about the information that is talked about, but how it is talked about.”

Deters has found that a practical incorporation of objects in her program really helps people learn, instead of just being told about the different methods of birth control.

“People like to see and touch things, and I think people learn things that way,” Deters said.

Students who attend the sex talk often are surprised at the approach Deters takes on the topic. Acts such as eating spermicide and passing it around makes students laugh and catches them off guard.

“People need something other than your words to focus on,” Deters said. “We are all used to being entertained.”

Alyson Peeler, junior in history, has attended the program before and found it an unforgettable experience.

“I really like how she tells it as it is,” Peeler said. “She is so funny how she presents like it’s an everyday thing. She presents information in a way that students can understand.”

Peeler said she thinks it’s important students know the options that are out there and Sally Sex Talk is a great way to learn about that information.

“These are issues we need to know,” Peeler said. “It is way better than reading a book. She is funny, so the information sticks to you.”

Many sex talks revolve around abstinence as being the key, but not all students choose abstinence, and they should know the options, Peeler said.

“Some teachers think if they don’t talk about it, then it isn’t happening, which isn’t true,” Peeler said. “Sally doesn’t sugarcoat it, but is honest and more real.”

Peeler recommends students attend the program because it is “important to be educated about it and not be scared about it.”

Deters said everyone can benefit from the information, whether they are sexually active or not.

“In order to have healthy relationships . [you need to] have a healthy vision of yourself,” Deters said.

“It isn’t always about everyone knowing the pros and cons; it is about them knowing the different options out there.”

Deters will be presenting throughout the semester at different residence halls. Monday evening, she spoke at Oak/Elm with Kris Olds, coordinator of the Story County Sexual Assault Response Team about safety issues dealing with sex.

“Overall, I get very positive feedback,” Deters said. “I’ve gotten some Facebook friends because of it.”