Debit cards’ ease encourages racking up overdraft fees

Jenn Hanson

Keeping an eye on the bottom line is more important than ever for students to avoid debit overdraft fees on which banks are becoming increasingly dependent.

The all-too-convenient debit card, which is quickly replacing cash and checks, can deplete bank accounts before the spender is aware.

“I do see them definitely as a problem,” said Doug Borkowski, financial counselor for the Financial Counseling Clinic.

He said the quick and simple motion of a card makes it way too easy to thoughtlessly swipe without noticing how much is being spent.

“It lets your spending get totally out of hand,” he said.

Overdraft loans are automatically supplied by banks when cardholders spend more than their account contains. The fees for the loan are often more than $30 for each transaction. According to the Center for Responsible Lending, overdraft fees total $17.5 billion per year and account for up to 45 percent of service fee revenue for some banks. The actual overdrafts total $15.8 billion.

Fees add up quickly, partly because they are applied without warning or notification – often several times in the red.

“Those overdraft fees will bury you,” said Colin Richey, personal banker at U.S. Bank, 405 Main St., and ISU alumnus.

Fortunately, the loans aren’t the only option.

“There’s a number of ways to protect yourself, it’s just a matter of doing it,” Richey said.

Many banks allow a customer’s checking account to be linked to a savings account or credit card.

The best way to avoid an overdraft, Borkowski said, is to keep track of spending.

Andrew Holcombe, freshman in pre-architecture, has never had an overdraft problem despite frequent debit card use.

“I keep track of everything in my checkbook,” he said.

Borkowski said although he doesn’t expect the average student to write down every transaction, he encourages them to be mindful of purchases.

“If you do it from time to time, you build good habits,” he said.

Richey said when he was a student he used to check his balance online between classes.

“The best thing is obviously the Internet banking. Use it often, and know what your balance is all the time,” he said.