Where to watch the big game

John Askew

In case you haven’t secured any tickets for the Cy-Hawk game, Ames offers plenty of places to kick back and watch some football.

Whether you’re looking for wings, deep-dish pizza, or just cheap alcohol, here is a list of some great venues to spend your Saturday.

Paddy’s Irish Pub

124 Welch Ave.

296-1400

It’s dubbed as an authentic Irish pub and is a Campustown fixture. If you’re looking for the student scene, then this is it.

Along with darts, pool tables and refreshments, there are plenty of TVs to catch all the action on. The bar is broken up into two sections, so if you have a large group, then be sure to take them here.

Old Chicago

1610 S. Kellogg Ave.

232-6900

If the student scene isn’t your thing, Old Chicago lets you eat in either the dining area or bar without missing any of the game. Along with their signature pizzas, calzones and pasta, they have over a hundred types of beer. If you want to stay in the bar, they have a massive projection screen that will feature the game.

West Cyde Wings

3706 W. Lincoln Way

292-8406

It’s one of the only wing joints in town and easily the best. They don’t have a full bar, but that doesn’t mean they should be overlooked. Head into here if you’re looking for some quality game food and drink specials.

Okoboji Grill

114 S. Duff Ave.

239-5036

Watch the game and get a full meal. Located where Indigo Joe’s used to be, the wall of televisions provides an opportunity to watch multiple games at once, and an open atmosphere makes it easy to cheer – or complain – about the game with complete strangers.

Welch Ave Station

207 Welch Ave.

292-2334

This bar is located right in the heart of Campustown. If you want to watch the game on some big-screen HDTVs with table service, then Welch Ave is the place.

The crowd is mostly college students and some locals, but they have 18 beers on tap along with table service.

Tip Top Lounge

201 E. Lincoln Way

232-9822

Tip Top is a landmark in Ames. It offers a great place to watch the game, cheap drinks, and nice company, complete with regulars and adventurous college students.

The back bar is a pretty relaxed environment to watch the game in.

Legends

119 Stanton, seventh floor

598-9300

Located at the top of an apartment building, Legends is a full-service restaurant/bar that has seating looking out onto Iowa State’s campus.

Also, the bar is smoke-free and has plenty of HDTVs to catch the game on. If you’re looking for a place to just watch some football that has great service and plenty of seating, then Legends is it.