Ivy College of Business recognizes alumni in women in business

Dan Houston, chairman, president and CEO of Principal, accepts the Champion Award surrounded by women who work at Principal. The 2019 Ivy Women in Business Awards was hosted March 27 in the Alumni Center.

Amber Mohmand

The Iowa State Ivy College of Business and Collegiate Women in Business hosted an award ceremony Wednesday evening to honor of three Iowa State Alumni and their impact for young women in business.

Daniela Rivera, sophomore in marketing, introduced Leslie Buttorff, chair of the board of directors at Quintel-MC. Rivera presented her with the Champion Award.

After thanking her family and mentors, Buttorff assured young women that are starting their careers in business that they can have a career and a family. Buttorff said after starting at an engineering company, she got pregnant and started to work at home for nine months, and transmitted data in order to keep up with her duties.

Buttorf said that this event helped change the company’s view on pregnant women in the workforce.

“That gave them [the engineering company] an idea, you know woman can be successful working here, they can work through a pregnancy,” Buttorff said.

Emily Schmitt, general counsel at Sukup Manufacturing Co. accepted the Outstanding Young Alumna Award, and when she accepted she advised future students with the abbreviation “ISU.”

Schmitt said the “I” stands for “Interest in others” and said that it was an honor to serve as a mentor to other women. Next, the “S” stands for “Speak with love.” Schmitt said she learned that simple acts of kindness, such as saying “hello” can create deeper working relationships. Schmitt said “U” was her favorite part of the abbreviation, standing for “Undeniably be yourself.”

Schmitt said it is important for women to bring their whole selves to work, and to take a chance in the workplace. She said it is important for women to be unique and that they will find that passion in their work.

Kate Banasiak, president and CEO of Diversified Management Services, accepted the Inspiration Award. Banasiak said giving women the confidence and voice as tools to achieve their goals is the key. She said studies show many women struggle with self confidence as young as eight years old and it prolongs throughout high school.

“These girls need mentors,” Banasiak said. “They need cheerleaders. They need examples inside and outside their homes, both men and women that are going to be by their side so they know the difference that they can make.”

Kathryn Klinger Wieland, director of Career Services in the Ivy College of Business, advised future workers in business to be confident in their abilities.

“Stop comparing yourself to others,” Wieland said. “I see so much damage in that right now, because primarily of social media. Do you, and that’s good enough.”

Ashley Goreczny, assistant professor in marketing in the Ivy College of Business, added that diversity is what will help business grow.

“What companies need, they don’t need other people that look like them, they need diversity, they need different ways of thinking,” Goreczny said.