Hassles and humidity plague those moving in

Tim Miller

By the end of college, most students could be considered professional movers. Some freshmen aren’t so lucky.

Moving into the residence halls can be a long, arduous task. Family, friends and move-in crews helped make life easier for students all around campus.

Ashley Hamann, freshman in pre-architecture, was moving into the residence halls for her first time.

“It was a little rough at first,” Ashley said. “It’s better when things are settled in.”

Ashley’s father, Jon Hamann, of Solon, helped her make the transition to Friley.

“I thought [the move] went pretty well,” Jon said. “It was nice having the kids help carry things up.”

Jon said the only thing he could’ve used was instructions for setting up a loft.

Ashley’s expectations for the coming college months were to have fun and work hard.

The heat made moving a much less enjoyable experience than it already is for some students.

“The humidity makes it hard to move stuff from the car,” said Jerad Smith, sophomore in aerospace engineering.

He said the move-in crews outside the residence halls were very helpful this year.

Smith is looking forward to football season and how the new ISU coach performs.

Sean Strub, freshman in pre-architecture, said the weather didn’t bother him because he is originally from South Carolina. This move-in is interesting for him because he just found out his roommate isn’t coming to school.

More studying and less partying is on the agenda for this semester, Strub said.

Dealing with the influx of incoming students are the community advisors in the residence halls. Friley’s hall desk was steadily busy with students checking into their rooms, although Tuesday was the busiest day, said Mitchell Pohlkamp, junior in civil engineering and community adviser of Stanton house in Friley.

Danielle Jo Sponder, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production and CA of Palmer House in Friley, said move-in days aren’t as stressful as people may think. The move-in crew made the process less stressful, Sponder said.

CAs’ duties involve checking students in and answering questions that parents and students may have. CAs have to stay in their rooms for 10 hours at a time during move-in.

CAs answer lots of questions, Sponder said. The most-asked question is about the lack of wireless Internet in the residence halls, she said.

Sponder said check in is an enjoyable part of her CA duties.

“It’s fun,” Sponder said. “It’s when you get to meet everyone.”