Running backs face solid competition

Tommy Birch

One of the toughest competitions for the ISU football team isn’t on the 2007 schedule – it’s the fight between three Cyclones for the job of starting running back.

The battle between juniors Jason Scales, J.J. Bass and redshirt freshman Alexander Robinson has kept ISU coach Gene Chizik from announcing who his starter will be.

“For me to tell you right now who the definitive starter is right now, I can’t,” Chizik said. “It would be unfair for us to do that at this point simply because they don’t even know.”

As of Tuesday, Scales was listed at the top of the depth chart, followed by Bass and Robinson.

While Chizik said all three will see playing time in Iowa State’s opener against Kent State, the big question over who will start remains unanswered.

“It’s still up in the air,” Chizik said. “We’ll see.”

While deciding on the starter has been difficult, Chizik has plenty of options.

Scales, from West Des Moines, rushed for more than 6,000 yards and scored 78 touchdowns in high school, but his ISU career has been hampered by knee injuries. Last season, the 5-foot-9 junior ran for 176 yards on 54 carries. This year, he’s healthy.

“I’m glad to see him working, fighting back from injuries he had in the past,” said offensive lineman Tom Schmeling. “It’s great to see him still out there.”

Scales isn’t the only running back whose winding road career is brought into the battle. Junior college transfer Bass has drawn high reviews from a number of publications, including SuperPrep, which ranked the 6-foot-1 tailback as the No. 2 JuCo player in his position.

Although Bass had signed with North Carolina State out of high school, he went to El Camino Community College after he failed to qualify academically. In his sophomore season, he ran for 13 touchdowns and more than 1,200 yards, which was enough for former ISU coach Dan McCarney to recruit him. After McCarney resigned, Bass committed to Oregon State before Chizik came calling.

“Coach Chizik came to me,” Bass said. “He was a great guy and very straightforward. He just gave me an opportunity to come here and compete right away.”

Now, he’s learning a new system with a major college.

“It’s definitely been a transition,” Bass said. “The game moves a lot faster. I had to get out my book and study it a little harder.”

While Chizik and his staff have tried downplaying the hype surrounding Bass on media day, after watching the transfer perform in practice, Schmeling was more than impressed with his abilities.

“He’s the real deal, he’s what everyone has said,” Schmeling said. “He’s very quick.”

Even though he’s listed at No. 3 on the depth chart, Robinson still plans to see some carries in an offense that plans to use all three running backs. In high school, the redshirt freshman tallied 2,340 rushing yards on just 201 carries as a senior. This season, the former walk-on was rewarded with a scholarship.

“I think we’ve got three guys who can give you something, something I think that’s good,” said Offensive Coordinator Robert McFarland. “We’ve got a trio of running backs that can help us right now.”

Whether the starting running back is Scales, Bass or Robinson, quarterback Bret Meyer said the offense won’t be limited to passing or just one player running the ball.

“They’ve all made plays,” Meyer said. “Alexander has done a great job; J.J. has obviously shown us what he can do; and Scales is always going to be back there. I think their styles all compliment each other and I think definitely you’ll see all three of them playing out there.”

No matter who ends up winning the job as starter, Chizik said he’s enjoyed watching the competition play out.

At a glance:

Jason Scales

Junior

5-foot-9

212 pounds

Last season: Rushed for 176 yards on 54 carries and two touchdowns.

High school: Rushed for 2,000 yards as a junior and senior while winning state championships both seasons for the West Des Moines Valley Tigers.

J.J. Bass

Junior

6-foot-1

206 pounds

Last season: Rushed for 1,200 yards and 13 touchdowns at El Camino Community College.

High school: Ran for 1,189 yards on 166 carries in 2003.

Alexander Robinson

Redshirt freshman

5-foot-10

181 pounds

High school: Ran for 2,340 yards and 31 touchdowns as a senior with five 200-yard rushing games.

– Information courtesy ISU football media guide.