Sororities finalize another year of recruitment

Sydney Smith

When the clock struck 1 on Thursday, the buzz in the courtyard escalated to a cadence of high-pitched squeals, screams and cheers.

Passers-by stopped and watched the sight of approximately 400 women surrounding the Campanile. Moments later, to the north of the bell tower, clusters of prospective sorority members gathered in circles around Rho Gammas, who had started singing and hopping while passing out envelopes to each woman. As each envelope was opened, there were more shrieks, hugs and even some tears. To the south, groups of sororities gathered, wearing matching shirts and holding their sorority letters and balloons.

This chaotic experience is known to the women who participate in it as “Bid Day.” It is one of the most exciting days of the year for ISU sororities, concluding the formal recruitment process, a weeklong process that determines the sorority of prospective members.

Formal recruitment began for prospective members on Aug. 11, when they moved into their residence halls. The same night the women moved in, they were assigned recruitment groups, which typically consist of other prospective sorority members in their residence halls. Their guide, the Rho Gamma, then led the women on a tour so they could become acclimated to the location of the sorority houses.

On Sunday all prospective members traveled to the 13 sorority houses on campus and had individual interviews with three members from each sorority. This part of the process is meant to give both the sorority and the prospective members a feel for one another. The next morning, the women received invitations to come back a second night from the sororities that felt they may be a fit. The prospective members could either accept or decline up to nine invitations. This is meant to allow the sororities and the women to choose each other.

Monday was “Nine Party Day,” when the women went to the houses they were invited back to. They had the opportunity to meet with different women from the sororities and watch a skit or a video clip the sorority felt showcased what they’re founded on and certain characteristics that describe them. The next morning, the women once again received invitations back and were allowed to choose up to five to accept.

Tuesday, the women visited the homes of the sororities that invited them back. They talked to women from the sorority and received a full house tour, as well as a financial sheet. Once again in the evening, the women received up to two invitations.

“Pref Night” was Wednesday night. This was described as the most emotional night, as the women have to write down what sorority they would prefer.

Thursday was the infamous Bid Day, when the women found out if the sorority they had preferred invited them to become part of the sorority.

The choice to “go greek,” the recruitment and lifestyle that follows, is one many non-greek students find confusing. The oftentimes secretive greek rituals and confusing process to become greek leaves many wondering what sororities are all about.

For many women, the prospect of a sorority helps them find their niche right away when they arrive on campus.

“A sorority offers an essence of a home that a [residence hall] often will not,” said Tara DeBartolo, vice president for recruiting for the College Panhellenic Council and junior in women’s studies. “It helps with networking, friendship and social life.”

She also said sororities hold their members to standards that keep their focus on grades, community service and leadership as a whole.

“It allows the women to get involved in campus socially and partake in philanthropy,” said Jenn Plagman-Galvin, assistant dean of students and director of greek affairs.

Prospective members who wish to join sororities can do so in one of two ways. Formal recruitment, which ran Aug. 11 to 16 this year, is a meticulously structured process in which the women have the opportunity to choose from all 13 on-campus sororities. Informal recruitment is a more laid-back process in which a woman can meet an entire sorority to decide if it is right for her.

Often times, formal recruitment can be too stressful for many, who opt out of the process and choose to do informal. This year, of the 354 prospective members who started out doing formal recruitment, only 277 finished. Other reasons for dropping out include women not being invited to the house of their choice or financial reasons.

John Bulcock, Interfraternity Council graduate assistant and graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, said it is actually cheaper to live in a sorority house than a residence hall.

“The high end for living in a sorority is actually about the same as the low end of residence halls,” he said.

At the same time, however, dues can become hefty with obligations to the national chapters and expensive membership badges.

Iowa State is known for its strong greek community. Several years ago, the CPC, which governs the sororities on campus, won the Sutherland Award, which is presented to the greek community that represents an overall strong system in its division. This community strength was seen recently when the Alpha Chi Omega house burned and the greek community came together to help the women who were without a home.

“We’re like a family,” DeBartolo said.