Junk food for thought

Jenn Hanson

Students know campus food.

They know it’s not the healthiest option out there. But what they may not know is that the dining staff is actively trying to provide better alternatives with the help of students.

The problem is that students don’t want them, said Nancy Levandowski, director of ISU Dining.

“It’s like a moral dilemma for us,” she said, referring to the balance between healthy food and popular demand.

“We provide both, give them information, educate them and hope they make the right choices.”

Seven dietitians are on staff working to reform the program and educate students.

In the past couple years, ISU Dining started stocking healthier, organic and natural foods, and increasing the variety of vegetarian options.

“We’re serving a lot more vegetarian options, which is exciting for me,” Levandowski said.

But a discouraging majority of students seem disinterested.

“When you’re feeding 5,700 people and 10 people eat it, there’s a problem,” Levandowski said.

She said the healthier options, such as fresh produce and organic foods, have shorter shelf lives and are difficult to keep in stock. When students don’t purchase the items, she said, it results in waste.

On the other hand, students are becoming more health-conscious, Levandowski said.

“Many slip back and forth [between junk food and healthy eating]. There’s an awareness, which is great,” she said. “[However], everyone’s perception of what’s junk food and healthy food is different.”

This semester, the dining centers began properly sizing their portions of entrees and side dishes to encourage balanced meals.

But Levandowski added that should students want seconds – or thirds – they are not off-limits.

“You can get it your way,” she said. “You just need to ask.”

To put herself in the shoes of students, Levandowski tried vegetarianism for one week and a vegan lifestyle for three days to gain understanding of students’ specific needs and become aware of the options provided on campus for these individuals.

Her philosophy, she said, is to mix up the selection, and have a little bit of everything to service everybody.

Ten random students were surveyed by the Daily on Tuesday, and none of them had complaints about the lack of health food.

ISU Dining is also looking at more health-friendly items for the C-Stores, Levandowski said. The only thing holding them back is the demand from students for a quick and cheap snack.

“It’s more convenience and more the almighty dollar.”