Freshman steps in for suspended starter

Nick Paulson

When freshman Cassie Pratt came to Iowa State, there wasn’t much of a chance she would see the court. With preseason All-Big 12 setter Kaylee Manns returning at setter, Pratt was looking at some serious time on the bench.

So much for that.

With Manns out for the first three games because of a suspension, Pratt got her first taste of collegiate volleyball against 2006 NCAA Tournament qualifier Middle Tennessee. Facing an experienced team is no easy task for a freshman, especially in her first match ever – but Pratt stepped up to the challenge.

“She made pretty good decisions,” said coach Christy Johnson. “Coming in here as a freshman is nerve-racking, and I thought she was able to settle her nerves and play relaxed.”

Pratt knew she would be starting since she arrived on campus. Being able to prepare to start all summer gave Pratt time to get used to the team and being in the starting lineup.

It also gave her the opportunity to get ready for the physical demands of the game.

“I just had to prepare a lot better,” Pratt said. “I got in a lot better shape than I probably would have coming in.”

It wasn’t a totally smooth start. There were instances where her nerves seemed to get the best of her, missing a serve and getting called for double contact on her set twice.

In the first game the Cyclones were trailing 25-21 when Pratt was whistled for being out of rotation on serve receive. Middle Tennessee rattled off the next four points to take the game.

Those errors weren’t the only reason Iowa State lost. With its starting setter out, the team needed to rally, something Johnson didn’t think happened.

“When you have a setter who’s not as experienced, you need the other people to step up,” Johnson said. “I don’t know that we were able to do that tonight.”

The team didn’t alter its gameplan to accommodate Pratt, but there were some differences with Manns out. Pratt dished out 34 assists against Middle Tennessee, an average of 8.5 per game.

Last season, Manns averaged 12.91 assists a game. That difference is something the team will need to overcome until Manns gets back.

Until then, the team will have to adjust. The more experienced players are going to have to step up, part of which will be giving Pratt advice and support. She can take comfort in knowing that the person she is filling in for has her back.

“I have all the confidence in the world in Cassie,” Manns said.