Volleyball drops opener

Travis Cordes

After eight months of high off-season anticipation, the 2007 ISU volleyball season opener didn’t quite go as the team may have planned.

The Cyclones never found an offensive groove as they hit a dismal .049 in a 3-1 (30-21, 26-30, 30-20, 30-28) loss to Middle Tennessee State in front of a crowd of 954 at Hilton Coliseum on Sunday night. With sophomore setter Kaylee Manns on the bench, the tempo of the Cyclone offense never found a groove, as freshman Cassie Pratt was thrown into the mix for her first ever collegiate start.

The Blue Raiders took control of the match in a hurry in game one, as they jumped out to a quick 11-2 lead. Passing problems were evident for the Cyclones, who were outhit .067 to .324. Iowa State got as close at four, but Middle Tennessee ended the game on a 5-0 run to take the game 30-21.

The Cyclones found themselves down early again in game two, as their hitting percentage dropped to .018 while trailing 20-11. But the Cyclones rallied behind solid defensive net play by Jen Malcolm and Diane Kieger to win 19 of the game’s final 25 points to take game two 30-26. The Cyclone defense held the Blue Raiders to just a .087 hitting percentage in the game.

Iowa State saw even more offensive troubles in game three, as its hitting percentage dropped into the red at -.029. A balanced Blue Raider attack saw three of its players hit double-digits in kills, as they led the entire game en route to a 30-20 win, and 2-1 edge in the match.

Down most of game four, the Cyclones refused to quit, as four consecutive blocks gave them the lead at 27-25. But a poised Middle Tennessee State team won five of the last six points to take game four 30-28, and the match 3-1. The Cyclones dipped into the red for the second straight game, hitting -.027.

Redshirt freshman Victoria Henson was the only Cyclone with double-digit kills with 10, as junior middle blocker Jen Malcolm led all players with 10 block assists. Senior Erin Boeve had a rough start to her career at outside hitter, registering just nine kills and hitting -.070 on the match. Middle Tennessee’s sophomore outside hitter Ashley Mead had a match-high 19 kills.

– Check back for updated coverage later tonight