Intramurals provide top-notch student jobs

Tj Rushing

Garry Greenlee, associate director of recreation services, and Randy Heimerman, program coordinator for recreation services, lead the way when it comes to everything intramurals, but behind the scenes are their experienced, trustworthy proteges to keep the waters calm.

“Garry has a lot of responsibility, so we help and take the load off what he has to do,” said Nathan Pick, graduate student in education leadership and policy studies. “Checking e-mails alone would take up like half of the day, so it helps to have us around.”

Also working for Greenlee is Kelly Elliott, sophomore in graphic design. She considers herself the “odd-job” intramurals office assistant, and has been working for intramurals since before she even took a class at Iowa State.

“I update bulletin boards, check e-mails and scorecards, answer phones, make flyers, update the calendar and sometimes I help to come up with new ideas for our intramurals,” Elliott said.

Heimerman also has the longest-working intramurals student employee – Colleen Gilhooly, senior in psychology. Gilhooly has been working in the intramurals system since she was in her first semester at Iowa State, when she worked as a referee.

“I was a high school athlete who wasn’t good enough to play in college,” Gilhooly said. “I refereed volleyball in high school, so I thought I’d give it a try here, and I also figured it’d be a good way to meet people.”

Gilhooly takes care of the payroll for all the intramurals officials, and sets their schedules for them as well.

She and her co-workers all agree on one thing – they have a couple cool, laid-back bosses.

“Working for Randy is a one-of-a-kind experience,” Gilhooly said. “It’s nice to know that somebody trusts you enough to just let you come in and work when you please, and that’s what Randy lets me do. He’s just real easy-going. We talk all the time, it’s an awesome relationship.”

Apparently being cool is contagious, because the same claims were made by Greenlee’s workers.

“I want to be the next Garry Greenlee,” Pick said. “Garry rocks and he’s an awesome boss.”

“It’s really good working for Garry. He would do anything for you,” Elliott said.

“I’ve gotten to know a lot of people through him, if you need to network, he’s your guy. He’s a laid-back boss. If he gives you a project to do, he’s not constantly looking over your shoulder, he’s just cool like that.”

These are the people you can thank for letting your intramurals experience ride as smoothly as possible. If you have an interest in getting yourself started in the intramurals business than take these words from Greenlee into consideration:

“To be on our staff you must be flexible, personable, and have an interest in recreation,” Greenlee said.

“The staff will run our program from the ground up – from supervising minor sports to assisting with scheduling, also maintaining facilities and equipment.”

That may seem like a lot, so also consider what Elliot said.

“I honestly don’t have anything negative to say about my job,” Elliott said. “It’s awesome.”