Campus offers students many organizations to explore, take part in

Shelly Leonard

As a new student to Iowa State, you’ll be faced with a wide variety of choices in which groups and organizations to become involved with during your time here. Iowa State boasts hundreds of student organizations ranging from religious to special interest. The following are just a few of the more than 600 organizations new students can become involved with:

Painters Anonymous

If you have a passion for painting, this group is the one for you. Painters Anonymous is for students who love painting and want to share their talent with others. The group sponsors exhibitions, has workshops for different types of painting and applies their skills to volunteer work by painting murals, working on sets for ISU Theatre, leading workshops for children and much more. To join, contact Emily Tarbox at [email protected].

Iowa State Space Society

The Space Society at Iowa State encourages interest in space and space activities through many activities throughout the year. The group hosts event such as rocket and telescope building projects, launches and astronomy nights. The group also takes place in many educational, outreach and social activities.

To join, contact Tabrina Sienkiewicz at [email protected].

ISU Triathlon Club

The ISU Triathlon Club is a laid back group of swimmers, cyclists, runners and any combination of the three. Highlights from 2006-2007 include: Hosting the Cy-Man Triathlon in August, the Doughnut Run (a 5K run that rewards participants for every doughnut consumed) and a trip to Tuscaloosa, Ala., for the USA Triathlon Collegiate National Championship.

Another great year looks to be at hand with 2007-2008 and a lot of fun as well, with a return trip to Tuscaloosa and the addition of more collegiate races in the fall and summer. The club is growing quickly, so check it out and give them a Tri!

To join, contact John Meyer at [email protected].

Celtic Dance Society

This club gives students who have an interest in Irish ceili and Scottish country dances a place to enjoy it. They host many events for members including dances, workshops and performances on the ISU campus. A highlight of their year includes the Twin Cities Failte ball, which is an event designed for beginning dancers. To join, contact Erin Brown at [email protected].

ISU Entrepreneur Club

The Iowa State Entrepreneur Club gives students the opportunity to learn from successful business owners from Ames and surrounding communities. Guests last year included Bill Malone of Cafe Diem, Matthew Goodman of the gyro stand and Flying Burrito, a real estate roundtable discussion and much more. Those interested in joining can contact Tim Hackbarth at [email protected].

Juggling Club

For those students who have an interest in juggling or wish to learn, this group is one for you. The club meets 8 p.m. Tuesdays in State Gym and in front of Parks Library on Friday afternoons.

Joe Kohlhaas, senior in physics and last year’s president, said anyone can learn to juggle.

“It takes 10 to 15 minutes for someone in the club to show you the basics,” he said. “Juggling is much easier when you’re taught in person.”

The club is frequently asked to perform around Ames and Story County and, in 2006, was voted the Student Organization of the Year by the Government of the Student Body.

To join, e-mail the club at [email protected].

Iowa State University Guitar Club

The Iowa State University Guitar Club is a resource to guitar players and those interested in guitars.

The group meets to discuss guitars and music and plans to eventually offer free beginner lessons.

The organization has had events such as open mic nights, barbecues, group-sponsored shows and demonstrations.

To join, contact Nicholas Abbott at [email protected].

Student Organic Farm

The Student Organic Farm Club gives students the opportunity and a location to plant fruits, vegetables, and much more. The club has a location on campus in a greenhouse, as well as an entire site about five miles north of town. The club is for everyone; members range from beginning to experienced gardeners to those looking into the field professionally. In previous years, the club has had the opportunity to sell their produce to farmers markets, donate to local food pantries as well as Youth and Sheltered Services.

For more information, or to join the club, contact Andy Larson at [email protected].

Hip Hop Club

The Hip Hop Club was started at Iowa State about six years ago, and is for students with an interest in hip hop dance. The dances are choreographed by students and a show is performed at the end of each semester. They also perform at community events such as Relay for Life, the Boys & Girls Club, Harambee, (an event sponsored by the Black Student Alliance), Veishea, and much more.

For more information or to join the club, contact Nicholas Murphy at [email protected].