ISU Dining offers healthy choices

Jessica Tometen

With the myth of the “freshman 15” lurking around every corner, making daily food choices can become rather challenging for many college students.

Some first year and returning, nontraditional students notice a change in weight after hitting the books in a captive environment like college, said Judith Trumpy, program coordinator for Campus Dining Services.

“Contrary to what you may have learned, there are no ‘good’ or ‘bad’ foods. All foods can fit into a healthy, daily food plan,” Trumpy said. “It’s about eating them in moderation, and balancing your energy intake with energy expenditure.”

Trumpy said the food at ISU Dining Services is prepared by a panel of food service professionals including a registered dietitian, food service managers and a professional chef with input from selected students.

“The menu choices are based on sound, evidence-based information. Every effort is made to offer a variety of foods at each meal which include options for vegetarians,” Trumpy said.

Carol Petersen, assistant director of Campus Dining Services, said students with particular food allergies or intolerances will be provided healthy substitutes for foods they cannot eat.

Each of the food choices in the dining halls are labeled with ingredients to help better serve students who are avoiding certain products.

“We also allow students to go into our storeroom and check the food labels of processed foods they may be concerned with. It just helps reassure the student, as well as the parent,” Petersen said.

Petersen said most of the time students, even with allergies, can eat right off of the menu because it contains such a wide variety. The key is to avoid processed foods.

The ISU Dining menu is available online for students to view. Trumpy suggests previewing the dining center’s menu on the ISU Web site, and plan ahead what you’d like to eat.

After arriving at the dining center she recommends taking a quick walk through to decide if those foods are still what you want to select. She recommends choosing a serving of a protein food which is usually the entree; carbohydrate for energy, which would be a starch or grain; a serving of a cooked vegetable and a green salad with an assortment of raw vegetables from the salad bar. Two percent, skim and chocolate milk are also offered along with fresh fruit and baked goods.

ISU Dining is currently in the process of implementing a program called “Net Nutrition.” This program will allow students to access nutrition information through the ISU Dining Web site.

Students will be able to enter in the food choice and portion size they selected at the dining center, and will receive information regarding the number of calories and nutrients they consumed.

This will help students be more aware of their energy intake, and areas they may need to make improvements in.

Petersen said the program is planned to be implemented in fall 2008.

Trumpy said it is important to pay attention to how hungry you are and eat slowly, chewing each bite, talking in between and putting your utensils down.

“Hopefully you can make your first choices last 15 to 20 minutes. Quit eating before you get too full or stuffed because then you have overeaten which can become a habit,” Trumpy said. “Remember, you can always go back for seconds.”

Trumpy said Iowa State offers many avenues of help for students with questions about nutrition, eating and health in general.

These include ISU Dining staff who can answer an immediate question in the center where you eat.

Student Counseling Services will address any concerns students may have and provide students with individual and group support.

The Wellness Center at Thielen Student Health Center can assist students in the areas of physical fitness, stress management, smoking cessation and nutrition.