Get some summer sun with intramurals

Tj Rushing

With a change in the weather comes a change in Iowa State’s intramurals. The summer months will provide six activities to participate in, ranging from disc golf to three-player basketball.

“I recommend disc golf,” said intramurals coordinator Garry Greenlee. “It’s flexible, where you need to play four of the six days that it’s offered. We average your scores in the four rounds and give awards based upon those results. This summer we are also offering three-player basketball that we didn’t offer in the fall or spring semesters.”

Although these two were recommended by Greenlee, some students have been intrigued by sand volleyball in past summers. Last summer, it was the most popular event, with 24 teams participating. Greenlee said the always-popular broomball and softball are right behind in student participation.

“I’m excited for broomball,” said Ben Valberg, junior in marketing. “It’s a good idea to have that in the summer, because it’s going to cool me down on those hot days.”

Weather can sometimes be a factor in the summer because most of the intramurals are played outdoors, but for the most part the weather cooperates.

“The weather during the summer usually cooperates with our activities really well,” Greenlee said. “We very rarely will cancel games due to heat unless there is an insanely high heat index. Rain will cancel games every now and then, but usually isn’t much of a factor.”

Even with the nice weather, attendance in intramurals is lower during the summer months than during the spring and fall semesters.

“Attendance in intramurals is affected due to many students not being around or enrolled in classes for the summer semester,” Greenlee said.

Students who are not enrolled in summer classes, however, can still participate by purchasing a rec services pass for $24 at 2220 State Gym. Passes go on sale Wednesday.

This dip in attendance bodes well for unlucky students vying for their first intramural champion shirt.

“I’ve played plenty of intramurals, and I’ve been close to winning, but still haven’t,” Valberg said. “I’m glad to hear the numbers are down in the summer. Maybe I’ll finally get a shirt.”

Referees will be officiating six different activities: ultimate Frisbee, disc golf, broomball, three-player basketball, sand volleyball and slow-pitch softball. Grab your significant others also – four of the six will be coed.

Ultimate Frisbee

Games will be held beginning May 29 at the Maple Willow Larch intramural fields. Ultimate Frisbee will be offered with both all-male and all-females formats, along with a coed format. Two to three preliminary games will precede a single elimination tournament and the season ends June 28. Games will be Tuesdays for men’s and women’s formats and Thursdays for coed format and will be held at 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.

Registration: Open until May 24

Broomball

Games will be played at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena at 1507 Gateway Hills Park Drive, just south of the towers. Broomball will be offered in all three formats of men, women and coed. It is the only summer intramural that comes with a fee, at $45 per team. At the minimum of five players, $9 a person is affordable. Tournament style won’t be determined until the number of teams is established.

Registration: Open from June 4 through June 24

Slow-pitch softball

Games will be held at the softball diamonds across the street and just east of Jack Trice Stadium. Slow-pitch softball is offered in male, female and coed formats. It is traditionally one of the most popular intramurals, so be ready to bring your A game if you want to compete. Tournament style won’t be determined until the number of teams participating is established.

Registration: Open from June 4 through June 21

Three-player basketball

Games will be held, weather permitting, outdoors at the courts next to Beyer Hall. During rain, the competition will be taken indoors at Beyer Hall. As many players as the captain feels necessary can play, and the style of tournament won’t be determined until the number of teams is established. Three-player basketball will be offered in men’s and women’s formats.

Disc golf

A league play format will be used – each participant’s four best rounds will be averaged to determine a score. Four rounds is the minimum to qualify; you will have six opportunities to play and can play all six if you wish. Disc golf will be played at the ISU Disc Golf Course at 13th Street and Stange Road, north of Frederiksen Court. Actual play will begin May 30. Discs will be provided, but you can bring your own if you desire. Men’s and women’s teams will exist, but no coed team is offered. You can practice on Mondays and Wednesdays from May 29 through June 18.

Registration: Open until May 24

Four-person sand volleyball

The season begins May 29 and matches will take place at the Southeast Intramural Sand Volleyball Courts at S. Fourth Street and Elwood Drive. Format will be two or three practice matches followed by a single elimination tournament. Matches will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays for men and women, and Thursdays for coed teams. Championships will be held June 28. High school rules will be applied with some modifications.

Registration: Open until May 24