Professors of petition discuss concerns

James Heggen

Updated 5/18/07 @ 9:39 PM CST

Four professors at Iowa State have authored a petition opposing having a team chaplain on the ISU football team.

Ellen Fairchild, lecturer of curriculum and instruction and co-author of the petition, said the reason she is opposed to the football team having a chaplain is because Iowa State is a public institution.

“My personal concern is the separation between religion and government,” she said.

Warren Blumenfeld, assistant professor of curriculum and instruction and co-author of the petition, said he was opposed to a team chaplain also because it is violating the separation of religion and government and it will marginalize non-Christian individuals.

William David, university professor of music and co-author of the petition, said the position would be inappropriate and he said he thought it was illegal, as well.

“I believe it’s a violation of the Constitution to do this,” David said.

Fairchild said it is hard for any person of faith to separate what they do from and his or her faith. She said the person is going to advocate his or her faith as chaplain.

Fairchild said even if the position were to be privately funded, she would be opposed to having a chaplain on the team because Iowa State is a public university.

“It is seen as sanctioned by this institution,” she said.

Fairchild said having the chaplain could have a negative effect on the members of the team.

“It’s a coercion type of thing,” she said.

David also said there may be a sense of coercion among the team members that are not Christian.

“What does that say about every other faith?” he asked.

Blumenfeld said there are many support systems available for Christians available in the area and hiring a chaplain is not only not necessary, but it also promotes a certain religion.

David also wrote in an e-mail that “this is a church/state separation issue with potential legal implications” and not an “anti-athletic” or “anti-Christian” issue.

Athletic director Jamie Pollard and head football coach Gene Chizik could not be reached for comment.

View petition submitted by faculty of Iowa State University here.

Check back for the latest updates as this story develops.