Ball to raise money for research

Shelly Leonard

An evening filled with entertainment, fine dining and dancing under the stars will give students a unique experience, all while giving to a worthy cause.

The ISU chapter of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars will host their first Charity Ball at 6 p.m. April 13, with all proceeds going to the Central Iowa chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

“We, as an executive committee, wanted to start a tradition within NSCS that would benefit our community,” said Dan Feimster, senior in mechanical engineering and NSCS co-vice president of community service. “We concluded that a charity ball would be a unique, classy event that students and community members alike would enjoy attending.”

Brittany Anderson, senior in biology and NSCS national vice president of community service, said other chapters of NSCS had tried the idea before and it had been a success. After talking to the other chapters, they decided to try it at Iowa State.

“This will help us get our name out to the community,” she said. “We can hold a social event and give back to the community, all in one formal event.”

The event will take place at Reiman Gardens and feature a formal dinner followed by performances by the Central Iowa Brass Quintet, an ISU flute quartet and the ISU Ballroom Dance Company.

Feimster said the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation was chosen because the organization is changing lives with their research and dedication to the patients who juvenile diabetes affects.

“The JDRF was a natural choice because by supporting research to stop this disease, we are supporting not only members of NSCS, but countless others right here at Iowa State and in the Ames community who have been touched one way or another by juvenile diabetes,” Feimster said.

As of Wednesday morning, the event had about 60 confirmed guests. The group plans to send e-mails to students as the registration deadline approaches. NSCS also sent out invitations to university department chairs and professionals in Ames.

Although this is the first year for the event, NSCS has high hopes for the event and feels it will be a success.

“We expect this event to continue as an annual tradition here at Iowa State,” Feimster said. “Our goal is for students and the Ames community to recognize this event as ‘the’ event to attend for juvenile diabetes research.”

Anderson encourages others to participate in the event because it will provide an opportunity to spend time with friends, enjoy a formal dinner and music, all while supporting a good cause.

“I would encourage participating in the event because I think that, a lot of times, we take some of the things we have for granted and don’t really think about those who have a lot of health issues or are less fortunate than us,” Anderson said. “It shows a lot about your character if you can give back to the community. I’m a huge advocate of giving back to the community in any way, shape or form.”

The cost of the charity ball is $40 per couple or $20 per person for students, while the general public will pay $60 per couple or $30 per person. Those wishing to attend are encouraged to R.S.V.P. before April 10 by sending an e-mail to [email protected], or by calling 450-2292.