2007 Veishea marks ISU sesquicentennial

Thomas Grundmeier

With the lighting of a single torch, it will all be official.

Noon Friday marks the beginning of the Veishea Opening Ceremony, which itself marks the beginning of Iowa State’s yearlong sesquicentennial celebration.

“The big thing for this year in general is the fact that it’s the 150th anniversary of Iowa State University and from there, just recognizing the community support of Veishea and the work of our committee members,” said Andy Isaacson, Veishea special events committee co-chairman and junior in agricultural business.

The ceremony will kick off on the stage south of the Campanile with the traditional lighting of the Veishea torch – conducted this year by ISU women’s basketball coach Bill Fennelly.

“We’ve always been involved with the Veishea celebration,” Fennelly said. “This event is built and run by the students, and I hope this basketball program is something the students enjoy [and] are proud of. We’re proud to be a part of it.”

After the torch is lit, there will be a short introduction given by the Veishea general co-chairpersons, Christina Dvorak, senior in advertising, and Nate Johansen, senior in agricultural business.

“Nate and I will do a preview of events and explain our Veishea committees and what we’re doing this year,” Dvorak said. “Then the president will come up. We’re really excited.”

Keeping with tradition, ISU President Gregory Geoffroy will follow and give his presidential remarks.

When Geoffroy finishes his speech, the Veishea committee will recognize new members of the Veishea Scholars and the Cardinal Key programs.

The Veishea Scholars program awards scholarships to high school seniors coming to Iowa State.

“The scholars program is as much a part of being at Iowa State as it is about scholarships,” Isaacson said. “It’s about creating opportunities for future leaders at Iowa State.”

The Cardinal Key program is an honors society that recognizes outstanding student leaders at Iowa State.

Alumna Ann Bryant Borders will then deliver the main speech of the event, “VEISHEA: Learning to Make a Difference.”

“To be present at the 150th anniversary is a very special occasion for us to look at all Iowa State has accomplished in 150 years,” Bryant Borders said. “I’ll be talking about what I think of leadership opportunities at Iowa State and what Veishea teaches students about making a difference in the world, and how that has affected me and my life.”

Tom Hill, vice president for student affairs, will close the ceremony, as he has in years past.

In the event of rain, the ceremony will be held in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.