Parents can love Veishea too

Linsey Lubinus

So your parents are coming to Veishea, and maybe they aren’t really interested in watching you play laser tag, race canoes or rocking out at Battle of the Bands. Don’t worry – they can find something to do beyond the parade. Not everything at Veishea caters to just college students. Here are some events your parents might like to see.

Veishea Open Golf Tournament

(four-person best shot)

Where: Veenker Memorial Golf Course

When: 8 a.m. registration; 9 a.m. start time Friday

Entry fee: $160/team (must register as a team of four)

Some parents like golf and this tournament will probably grab their interest.

“My dad would love the golf tournament. Absolutely love it,” said Lee Doeden, junior in mechanical engineering.

Teams of four can sign up and try to make their best shots. The price can be a little steep, but it includes food and golf cart rental. There will be also be flag prizes and door prizes.

Motorcycle Event

Where: Iowa State Center Commuter Lots C and D

When: 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday

Entry fee: Free

For the Harley dads, there will be a motorcycle event in the Iowa State Center Commuter Lots.

“My dad would be all over that. He just bought his first motorcycle a couple weeks ago,” said Claire Bassett, sophomore in computer engineering.

This is a professionally timed street course, limited to licensed drivers with their own registered bikes.

Stars Over Veishea presents “The Music Man”

Where: Stephens Auditorium

When: 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Tickets: Available through www.ticketmaster.com.

A more mom-friendly activity would be one of the multiple showings of Meredith Wilson’s “The Music Man” at Stephens Auditorium. ISU students will present the story of a conman and his “76 Trombones.”

Food events

See calendar for various times and locations

And don’t forget the many opportunities to get great food at Veishea.

“Everybody likes food,” Doeden said.

There will be food vendors around campus, Taste of Veishea booths north of Lake LaVerne selling items such as hot dogs and funnel cakes, barbecues on Central Campus, the Midnight Pancake Feed and the International Food Fair.