Veishea has hosted wide array of celbrities

Rachel Rouse

Ask a University of Iowa student what Veishea stands for and they’d probably stare blankly back at you. Although this word isn’t in the dictionary, it holds a special place in the hearts of ISU students and alumni.

Veishea began in 1922 as a weeklong celebration to showcase and display each college at Iowa State. ISU students, faculty and alumni aren’t alone in the campuswide celebration tradition. It has caught the attention of several politicians and celebrities throughout the years.

1. Bob Hope

In 1945, the legendary entertainer Bob Hope made a trip to Iowa State to judge the Veishea Queen Contest. He must’ve fallen in love with the celebration, because returned in 1950 to crown the queen again.

2. Count Basie

Famous jazz pianist and composer Count Basie and his orchestra were the headliners of the Veishea concerts in 1948.

3. Harry Truman

The first Veishea torch was lit to ward off the rain in 1949. President Harry Truman lit the flame in 1950 in Ottumwa. Representatives from 25 campus organizations carried the torch on to the ISU campus.

4. Cecil B. DeMille

World-renowned film star Cecil B. DeMille lit the torch and was the grand marshal for the Veishea parade in 1952. One of DeMille’s most famed accomplishments was directing the film “The Ten Commandments.”

5. Ronald Reagan

The Veishea parade has been a crowd favorite since it began. In 1958, then-actor Ronald Reagan was the grand marshal for the parade. He was also a guest speaker for Veishea ceremonies.

6. Meredith Wilson

Meredith Wilson, a native Iowan composer and playwright, was famous for writing “The Music Man.” Wilson attended the 1963 performance of “The Music Man,” which was put on at the Stars Over Veishea.

7. Lyndon B. Johnson

In 1963, Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson lit the Veishea torch. He was elected president the following year.

8. Allan D. Shepard Jr.

Although he didn’t physically visit Iowa State, Captain Allen D. Shepard Jr. lit the Veishea torch in Houston at the NASA Headquarters in 1965. Shepard was the first American astronaut to go into space.

9. John Wayne

Native Iowan John Wayne lit the Veishea torch for the 1966 celebration. According to a poll released by Harris Poll in 2007, Wayne earned the number three spot among America’s favorite film stars.

Concerts during Veishea have also drawn acts such as Diana Ross and the Supremes, Billy Joel and Sonny and Cher.