Tournaments aim to increase entries with new events

Donna Beery

Disc golf, mountain biking, canoeing or video games – regardless of individual pastime preference, the 2007 Veishea tournaments will have participants competing in their favorite endeavors for shirts, medals and, of course, elite status.

Getting outside – or into Lake LaVerne – are wonderful ways to engage in the eventful fun of “Iowa State on display” and clear the mind before Finals Week. “We didn’t want to always focus on traditional sports,” said Lee Schoof, Veishea Tournaments Committee co-chairman and sophomore in agricultural business.

“Last year we had a really good response to XBox tournaments, so we wanted to elaborate that. We will also be having a ‘Dance Dance Revolution’ and ‘Guitar Hero’ competition.”

The tournaments are a blend of tradition and contemporary interests.

The Lake LaVerne Canoe Races became a campus custom in 1944, when teams from the dorms and greek houses dressed in costumes and rowed with their pledge paddles.

Today, the races retain their tradition, but left the pledge paddles and costumes lakeside.

“There are two or three people to a canoe, and we have them go out and around a buoy on Lake LaVerne,” Schoof said. “They are racing against time, so the best time wins.”

Past derbies have seen joust-like duels in an attempt to capsize adversaries, so this may be your chance to take a dip in the campus landmark.

Schoof expects popular events such as the 5K race, which had 180 participants last year, the Glowball Golf Tournament and the 6-on-6 Sand Volleyball Tournament to attract many participants.

“Glowball Golf was a great hit [last year],” Schoof said of the event that has teams driving balls in the dark at Coldwater Golf Links, 615 S. 16th St.

Preparations for Veishea entertainment and activities have been underway since October, although the committee and chairperson selection process began in August.

“What we have been focusing on this year is providing a versatile lineup of events,” said Nathan Katzer, Veishea Entertainment Committee co-chairman and senior in public service and administration.

“We would like to emphasize that we are really focusing on safety and quality.”

The events and tournaments of Veishea are not limited to the students, and for the first time, attendance for every event will be free.

“We invite everyone to come and enjoy,” Katzer said.

The tournaments have the same rules as intramurals, meaning alcohol and intoxication are not allowed.

“We have asked students to get alcohol off the premises in the past, but we rarely have any problems,” Schoof said.

Participant registration for tournament teams is easy, and although there is often a fee, it is minimal.

“Online registration is available and people are able to pay online by credit or debit card,” Schoof said.

For a full list of Veishea events and tournament registration information, visit www.Veishea.iastate.edu.