Cyclone Idol displays best Iowa State has to offer

Jill Blackledge

What: Cyclone Idol

When: 7 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Great Hall, Memorial Union

Most people can only dream about being a finalist on Fox’s “American Idol,” but Veishea gives students an opportunity to participate in Iowa State’s own version.

Although the competition takes its name from recent popular culture, Nathan Katzer, Veishea entertainment committee co-chairman and senior in public service and administration in agriculture, said there was already a singing competition prior to the TV show, and the name transitioned after the success of “American Idol.”

The contest works much in the same way as the TV show. Performers are judged in the preliminary rounds by three judges, and those who move onto finals will face five judges.

Colton Meyer, student involvement coordinator and freshman in environmental science, said contestants will be allowed to use accompaniment and perform any genre of music. Costumes are allowed, but aren’t factored into the scoring.

“The judges will mainly be looking at vocals and stage presence,” Meyer said.

This is why Katzer and Meyer said the audience is crucial at Cyclone Idol.

“I’d really like to see crowd participation,” Katzer said. “I want to encourage people to invite as many as possible. I’d love to have a packed house to put a lot of enthusiasm inside.”

The preliminary rounds were held in the Maintenance Shop. Meyer said he likes the intimate environment of the location for the contest.

“People can provide encouragement and give support,” Meyer said.

“We’re lucky to have facilities provided in the MU. There will also be a taping of the performance that we’ll have onscreen in the Great Hall.”

Meyer and Katzer said crowd support is crucial to good performances. People should plan to arrive early at the shows, especially the finals.

“I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for students who may be unsure to step up on stage and see how talented they are,” Katzer said.

Katzer said he also appreciates faculty participation. Some of the judges this year are ISU faculty members.

Meyer said the number of performer applicantions has been continuously growing.

“I was hoping to get a little more, but it’s not bad so far,” he said. “Our goal is to have 40 to 50 in the end. It started off slow, but I get more and more every day.”

Alumna Tiffany Daniels won the event last year, and Katzer said they are looking into having her back to perform for the crowd this year.

One new thing for this Cyclone Idol is the ability to have text-message voting, just like the TV show.

Katzer said U.S. Cellular has provided the equipment so that audience members can text message vote for their favorite performers during the show.

“We’ll tally the scores. They may not factor into the final placement, but they might if we have a people’s choice award, or if we take a percentage of their score from text messaging,” Katzer said.

He also said there may be cash prizes, although it’s yet to be determined.

This year will also feature a new emcee. Hip-hop artist Biz Markie, whose credits include film and TV, is master of ceremonies and will be performing at the finals, held in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“He’s very interactive onstage,” Katzer said.

Markie was also a contestant on VH1’s “Celebrity Fit Club” in 2005.

Cyclone Idol became a collaboration with Veishea and the Student Union Board last year after solely being produced by SUB in 2005.

Katzer said he thinks working together helps improve the quality and attractiveness to participants and hopes they’ll continue to collaborate.