Steer clear of these 10 Veishea cliches

Chelsea Desousa

1. Is that a skirt or a Band-Aid?

OK ladies, for the sake of all women and maybe their significant others too, please avoid this Veishea cliche. Wearing a skirt that barely covers your nether regions is never classy, even if you’re blessed like J-Lo. If you really want to impress a guy during Veishea weekend, challenge him to a rowing contest instead of showcasing your deluxe, ultra-mini.

2. Don’t be too scent-sational

Scents are nice and do entice, but too much cologne and sorry, guys, you’ll end up repelling us. We like you to smell good, but don’t need your Stetson-doused body clogging up the sweet smell of fresh funnel cake. So be smart and use the cologne in moderation.

3. Lonely at midnight

The Campanile is about to strike midnight as scattered couples wait to kiss their sweethearts and watch fireworks. Also present are the lone stragglers, typically male, who are looking for some action. Tip of advice: Standing next to your drunken buddies and yelling that you need someone to kiss will probably not prove successful. Bottom line: When the clock strikes midnight, don’t go looking for a random stranger to peck. Stand back and enjoy the moment, knowing that you’ll save the kiss for someone truly special.

4. Partying too crazily

Not that Veishea isn’t a great time to come together as a college and have some fun, but puking all over the place or getting in fights with people you don’t even know isn’t fun for anyone involved – especially the police. Steer clear of trouble this Veishea by taking some responsibility for yourself.

5. Good ol’ cherry pies

It’s just not Veishea without the cherry pies. Be sure to make your way to the tables across campus selling these little delights. They’re definitely worth a couple of dollars and cherry-stained lips.

6. Beads galore

As you wander through campus during Veishea weekend you’ll see many necks bedazzled with beads. Yes, Mardi Gras is over, but many enjoy accessorizing during Veishea to keep the celebration alive. Some may even choose to wear nothing but the beads – not recommended. Clothed or not, get your bead on and have some fun.

7. Crispy critters

Expect to get some sun during Veishea since you’ll be spending a lot of time outdoors. Yes, the infamous farmers’ tan can happen, especially if you end up watching the parade. To avoid the humiliation of resembling a lobster, slather on some sunscreen before heading out.

8. Hungover candy divers

Most of us enjoy parades, especially when there are freebies such as candy and plastic cups involved, but don’t sacrifice your safety or the safety of little ones by diving for one measly Tootsie Roll.

9. Mosh-pit madness

While jamming to the musicians during Live @ Veishea it’s only natural to find yourself in a massive mosh pit. If you enjoy being stepped on, poked, grabbed and pushed by others head toward the stage. Some people have a high tolerance for this kind of madness, while others choose to steer clear. Just know you don’t have to risk your comfort to fully enjoy the live entertainment.

10. Crowd claustrophobia

Since this is the largest student-run event in the country, campus is bound to be flooded with lots of people. Yes, it can be frustrating weaving through the crowds, but consider how cool it is at the same time. The fact that Veishea brings so many individuals to campus is exciting and should make us all proud to be Cyclones.