Preliminary autopsy indicates student accidentally drowned

Marjorie Smith

Last updated 7:29 p.m.

A preliminary autopsy that was performed Wednesday afternoon indicated that ISU student Abel Bolanos died from accidental drowning in Lake LaVerne in the early morning hours Saturday.

“Preliminary results from the autopsy indicated that Bolanos died as a result of accidental drowning,” said Cmdr. Gene Deisinger of the ISU Police. “Final determination of the cause and manner of death is pending the results of medical tests. Those tests may take several weeks to complete.”

Deisinger also said the investigative results indicate there is a good chance Bolanos was in Lake LaVerne during Polar Bear Plunge, an ISU Greek Week tradition in which people jump into the lake for charity.

“Given the information available to us at this time, we believe that Mr. Bolanos accidentally drowned in the lake shortly after 4:30 a.m. [Saturday],” Deisinger said.

The medical examiner who conducted the autopsy, however, is unable to verify the length of time Bolanos’ body was in the lake before discovery.

“I don’t think the med exam has been able to determine that,” Deisinger said. “That is based on more investigation results.”

Deisinger also emphasized that there are no indications of foul play in Bolanos’ death, although he did not rule it out.

Officials are still interviewing people who were with Bolanos the night he disappeared.

Bolanos’ body was discovered along the southeast side of Lake LaVerne around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and was removed by underwater rescuers and paramedics around 6 p.m.

Family members have returned to Illinois to begin funeral arrangements.

A candlelight vigil will be held at 8 p.m. Wednesday on the south lawn of Campanile in memory of Bolanos.

The vigil is estimated to last half an hour, but will continue into the evening until people decide to leave. Government of the Student Body President Emily Jensen will lead the initial moment of silence.

“We just wanted to give students the opportunity to come together and mourn the loss of one of our community members,” Jensen said. “We [will] have a PA so anyone who wants to share a memory or a story can speak.”

Members of Student Counseling Services will be available for students as well as people from the Religious Leaders Association.

“Our goal at this point is to try and help students as much as we can,” said Dione Somerville, dean of students.

Upon arrival at the vigil, students will be given a candle to have during the service.

“It’s windy out, and we want to try to make sure the candles can be lit,” Jensen said.

Still, organizers have greater concerns than that.

“Just being there and taking a moment and recognizing the student is what’s important,” Jensen said.

As of this afternoon, Jensen said there will be no scheduled speakers or music. She said she plans for a relaxed, calm and quiet atmosphere.

“We all deal with issues of grief in a variety of ways, so whatever we can do for students [we want to do],” Somerville said.